Sync iPhone with multiple computers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric8199, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

Hey guys, I see that with the new iTunes, you can now share songs over multiple computers (up to five I believe). Does this also mean you can now sync the iPod/iPhone to multiple computers as well, meaning one of those five computers?

Want to be able to sync my wife's iPod Touch to both my MacBook Pro and her Windows crappy PC.

2. celticpride678

3. colorblindpicas macrumors newbie

I do that with a desktop and notebook but it is kind of a hack. I use Live Sync (free Microsoft product) to synchronize the library and media files. It automatically keeps itunes and my library synchronized on both machines, either over my local network or over the internet if I want.

I believe they have an OS X version as well. It works great for my setup but it is two Win 7 machines. I have no idea if it will work with a mix of OS X and XP.

4. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

Im pretty sure it will be possible as long as both itunes library's are identical. Otherwise it will keep removing and re-syncing songs unless you manually manage music.

5. IronLogik macrumors 6502

I don't think so. I think it's synced to a particular computer name and library id.

6. colorblindpicas macrumors newbie

My computers have different names, still works. But again, it might be different with two very different operating systems.

7. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

That's what happen when I synced my iPhone to my MacBook on holiday. I didn't read the 'tick or I'll delete your content that's not on this itunes* library' message.

* probably not the correct message.