Sync iphoto, itunes between 2 macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kurzz, Aug 20, 2007.

1. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

Does anyone here sync most or all their files between two macs?
    I have an imac and will be getting a mbp. I'd like both macs to have the same copy of itunes, iphoto and other documents. Will .mac sync do this or what software setup do you use to make this work?

thanks.

2. randyzerch macrumors newbie

Syncing iTunes

I routinely sync my iTunes folder between two computers. When you do the whole folder, you get your revised playlists as well, so iTunes acts the same between both computers.

I am about to do the same thing with iPhoto. Hope it works the same, with albums, projects, etc.

3. thrustinj macrumors newbie

Also, if you just want to do this at home, you can hold down the option key start iPhoto. It will ask you to locate an iPhoto library. Then you can connect to your other Mac on your local network (or remotely if you set it up) and manage iPhoto that way.

4. newmacmom macrumors member

Another dumb question to follow OP

How do you connect to the other Mac? They are both on the airport router, but I am clueless on the rest.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

Which version of the OS are you running?
    10.4 (Tiger) or 10.5 (Leopard)?

Basically, you go into System Preferences, look for the Sharing section, and turn on File Sharing on each of the Macs.

Once File Sharing is enabled, you tell the one Mac to connect to the other Mac. This is a little easier (IMO) in 10.5 because the Macs should show up in "Finder" under the "Shared" section of the sidebar.

6. Italchef macrumors 6502

Ok, let's follow this a bit further if you don't mind. So now I have both Macs talking to each other. This I have no problem with. Now what? Someone posted before you that you log into iPhoto and point it to the other Mac. How does that update the library on the other computer? We want to have the updated versions on both computers.
    Thanks for your patience and help

Mick

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

That doesn't update the libraries, it just gives the ability for each computer to open the libraries located on the other computer.

To keep iPhoto/iTunes libraries in sync, I've seen people recommend the ChronoSync program.

8. doublewood macrumors newbie

Here's a free way to sync two iphoto libraries. If you have photo sharing enabled, you can import the pictures you see from the shared library by selecting them, and dragging them to your local Photos library. You will not retain the events from the shared library though. Each import batch will be an event, so you can maintain the events that way, or split it after it's been imported.
    iPhoto shared libraries does not share any videos, so you cannot share any videos in your libraries this way.

9. tmillikan macrumors newbie

Will iCloud enable iPhoto / iTunes sync between two computers?

In reading through the iCloud stuff on the Apple site, it's clear that photos and tunes can be synced between a single computer and iOS devices. But it doesn't say anything about keeping two computers in sync.

Thoughts?