sync ipod and nano on one computer

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by alainr, Jun 27, 2008.

1. alainr macrumors regular

i have a 4gb nano and have its songs and playlists on my imac.

i just got the 8gb ipod touch which can hold more music/video than the nano.

how do i set up separate "accounts" on my imac so that i can sync both the nano andthe ipod? And have another "account" with my son's music.

a tech support persons told me to set up one playlist for the nano and another for the ipod--but then i do not see how i cld keep my current playlists for classical/exercise, etc.

2. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Have your iPod sync to a Playlist with all your Music, as well as your other Playlists ie. Exercise, Classical
    Have your sons iPod sync to a Playlist containing all his Music as well as additional Playlists if necessary.

All the best,
    Austin

Sorry about the confusion that my pre-edited post may have caused.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Uh...

Each person should make their own playlists and tell their iPods to sync to those.

Done.

4. rma2110 macrumors newbie

You can have as many playlists as you need. One for Jazz, classical, iPod Nano, ect. I have a separate playlist for my iPod Touch and Nano.

Your Son can have his own playlist and iTunes account. I reccomend setting him up with his own user account on your iMac (one with no Admin Access) :D That way he can have his own iTunes account and his own iTunes Folder.

Not sure how to set up a User account off the top of my head. Settings - Users -Accounts (I think)

5. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Erm... yup, that's it :)
    Sorry I got into gnitty gritty stuff, just wanted to be thorough cause you never know when there's gonna be an unintelligent person who's like "WAAA, HUH? WHAT IS PLAYLIST AND HOW DO MAKE?" I've ran into plenty of those ;)

6. TheBearman macrumors 6502

Not to add a silly question, but...

Is there a limit on how many iPods can be serviced/synced on a single account? I currently have 4 and haven't had a problem but was wondering when this would start to fail or exceed some limit. As I replace an iPod, will I need to de-authorize it to stay within some limit?

Just wondering.

7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Hmmm...

Count up how many times you've had to authorize an iPod to do anything. Quadruple that number, then add inifinity.

That's your answer.

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yep

Thank god it's so easy!

9. alainr thread starter macrumors regular

sync ipod to diff playlists

i am new to this. i have always just synced by nano. how do i set up separate playlists for each?
    i just got a mac. now my library has all songs checks which is ok at my ipod holds the music, but it is too much for my nano

Have your iPod sync to a Playlist with all your Music, as well as your other Playlists ie. Exercise, Classical
    Have your sons iPod sync to a Playlist containing all his Music as well as additional Playlists if necessary.