Sync iPod Touch WITHOUT iTunes help

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Neo-Dragon, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Neo-Dragon macrumors newbie

Hey everyone.
    I'm just wondering is there a way to sync media to the ipod touch without itunes?
    I know there is a patch called dopisp by MGTEK that allowed Windows Media Player to sync with the old ipods but it doesn't work with the new iPod Touch.
    Any ideas on what program(s) I could use?

2. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

It doesn't look like it. I don't think they've tested the iPod touch yet, but the classic and nano apparently use a new database format that's signed. I myself don't mind using iTunes, but I don't like that Apple has started needlessly locking out other apps this way.

3. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

you must use iTunes.

Apple hasnt locked anyone out because none of the other methods were ever supported. But i agree it will be good to see if any 3rd party solutions surface!

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Hmm. Wonder if this could be related to the possibility of video rentals that keeps coming up? They'd have to do something to change the DRM so it can actually expire and not just be hacked to live forever...

B

5. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

No, DRM would be on the specific files, the same way it is now for protected music and videos (it'd probably be another FairPlay variant).

Apple is just locking down the database that points to all of your songs on the iPod, and keeps track of ratings, playcounts, etc. All it does is lock people in to using iTunes.

Someone suggested they might be doing it to prevent malformed databases from being uploaded to the iPod. Locking the format down would reduce support calls, I suppose. I still don't like it.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Remember that iTMS applies FairPlay and individualizes the file in the client and that FP currently has no concept of time. Protecting the db seems like a reasonable thing to do if you are going to extend it.

Note that I too don't like it, but can live with it if it ultimately adds functionality.

I'm far more annoyed by the fact that :apple:TV required you to enter a code to connect to remote libraries and won't support third party servers like firefly.

B

7. PygmySurfer macrumors 6502

That's why I said FairPlay variant. :)

8. ps49556n macrumors regular

aside from linux users, why do people complain about using itunes???

9. Neo-Dragon thread starter macrumors newbie

Alot of the songs I have on my laptop dont have all the details filled in, so the songs don't sync from itunes, and because I have so many songs, I just don't have the time to fill out the details for each song.
    Also, it doesn't help that I'm a iTunes newbie and only recently downloaded it because I preordered the Touch (since I was using Windows Media Player with my current iPod)
    No song will sync without the details as far as I'm aware.

Has anyone who has a Touch tried using "Floola" or anything to see if that syncs music and videos?

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

?!?:confused:

I have plenty of "Random Filename/Unknown Artist/Unknown Album" tracks that sync just fine to all my 'Pods using iTunes. It just uses the filename as the track name.

But if it doesn't share anything with the current FairPlay in terms of how content is delivered or protected is it still FairPlay?

B

11. Mtirv macrumors member

Over on www.ipodtouchfans.com someone has made some steps to getting it recognized as a camera by Windows, they're now trying drivers that allow it to be used as a file system. So you probably will be able to put music on it without iTunes soon (just not with WMP either, for a while)

12. Neo-Dragon thread starter macrumors newbie

So if it shows up as a camera, if you drag and drop the music files, will it show up on the iPod Touch?

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Unlikely unless they also solve the change in format & signing of the database. It is a baby step in the right direction, though.

B

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

15. Neo-Dragon thread starter macrumors newbie

16. GreenMaster macrumors newbie

r u serious??

ok, i try to keep my cool here - you are an iTunes fan it appears. im new to the iPod world with a 16gb iTouch. since day one i`ve been searching to replace iTunes with anything. (dear God, i hope im not stuck with this one, but so far no luck)

just a couple of reasons to complain about iTunes:

- i have a pretty good pc (2 gig ram, 3ghz intel extreme, 512mb dedicated video, 2x500gb HDD etc) but iTunes is just slow, very slow
    - drag and drop anyone? why cant i copy music back to my pc from iTunes?? why cant i drag pictures? why do i have to select one folder to sync and then sync it one way only (doesnt syncronize mean that i can choose if i want both to be the same (iPod+folder or if i want the iPod to be like the folder or the other way round???) this is not sync. its a dictate from the folder to the iPod. and if you use 2 pcs and name the 2 folders the same it still wants to delete everything from the iPod and copy the pictures from the specified folder - ergo you need to keep the same pictures on both pc and when you add something through one of your pcs, you have to take the same picutres on a memory stick per say copy it to the folder on the other pc - because from your iPod you can not get the pictures back on the other computer.... how incredibly stupid is that???)
    - exporting playlist from winamp, media player anything??? i have over 12.000 songs and already had extensive playlists, but no you cant copy, import them or anything - again stupid!!!
    - supporting video, audio files ??? even with installed codecs it doesnt recognize anything really like divx, avi any fuc-**ng thing without having to convert to mpg
    - video converting takes forever and half the time comes out wrong
    - its the stupidest program devised to mankind to use an external device of any kind (Camera, phone, mp3 player etc)
    - iPod doesnt appear as anything under My Computer (it isnt a device apparently..)

its pretty nice to touch the screen (wow effect) but its absolutely annoying to use this thing with a PC (due to iTunes inpracticality and utter stupidity). my creative 30 gb vision player is lightyears more practical - sure not as flashy and pretty and small and whatever but it F***ing WORKS

anyways at least thats what i think. i`ve only used iTunes for 2 weeks at the moment i hope to get rid of it ASAP but maybe i will see the "light" and find reasons to love it.... (or maybe i figure out that all of the above and more is possible... but it isnt.)

17. phowler13 macrumors newbie

18. verssesli macrumors newbie

Now there's a new one called Mediamonkey
    It syncs to your iPod just fine (it worked with my iPod touch 3rd Gen), but all the songs show up under the "123" category, and only one album shows up at a time in Cover Flow, and I have not tried genius.
    link:http://www.mediamonkey.com/download/