Sync Issue: Outlook 2007 Contacts and Calendars - Selected Items

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anon2828, Feb 11, 2008.

1. anon2828 macrumors newbie

Need help please:

Outlook 2007
    iTunes 7.6
    iPhone 1.1.3

I have multiple "Folders" (in MS Outlook terminology) of contacts and calendars in Outlook 2007.

When in iTunes on the Info tab, I can choose, "Selected Contacts" and pick from the "folders" of contacts I created in Outlook 2007.

However, in iTunes on the same Info tab, just below the contacts section, I CAN'T pick "Selected Calendars." The option is grayed out and my "folders" of calendar items does not show up in the selection box (it is grayed out).

On another machine I can't get contacts OR calendars to provide me the option for selected contacts or selected calendars.

Where are the files and/or registry entries that iTunes points to that determine what Outlook .pst file it should sync with? Could this be the issue?

Any help would be appreciated. Apple is clueless on this issue...

2. jamie987320 macrumors newbie

similar problem--any solution?

I'm using Outlook 2003, an iPhone, and want to sync only selected calendars in Outlook. This option in iTunes is shaded out, as described above. Why is this and how can I change it! Very frustrating--this is such a basic necessity. My wife is using a Samsung BlackJack with Windows Mobile and I was shocked to see there is no way to sync selected calendars on her PDA either! What are people doing to deal with this?

3. SpinachSpinach macrumors newbie

A workaround for uploading multiple calendars

I found a way to workaround the problem with the iPhone not allowing us to sync multiple calendars within iTunes. (Note: I use MS Outlook 2007 on my Windows XP machine.)

My personal desire is to have all of the calendar entries from my multiple Outlook calendars to appear in my iPhone calendar. I don't care if they appear in separate calendar views on the iPhone---I would actually prefer them to appear as one calendar on the iPhone.

So, knowing that the iPhone syncs only my main Outlook calendar titled "Calendar," I simply adjusted the contents of that calendar with a simple technique.

I had two calendars in Outlook that have data in them. I'll call them "Calendar" and "Calendar B". "Calendar" was my main calendar which was syncing nicely to the iPhone. "Calendar B" was not syncing at all.

So, I created a new, blank calendar named "Calendar A." I copied all of the contents from "Calendar" into "Calendar A." Calendar A now contained all of my main calendar data. I will use that "Calendar A" as my main calendar from now on.

Next, I copied all of the "Calendar B" data into "Calendar." Now "Calendar" contains all of the data from both "Calendar A" and "Calendar B."

So now I have my two separate calendars with their separate data as they should be, and I have one combined calendar functioning as the "main" calendar as far as Outlook is concerned. (For those of you who archive, you would want to ensure that the archiving will be done correctly in this scenario.)

When I sync with the iPhone now, it still only syncs one calendar, but that calendar happens to be "Calendar," which happens to contain all the data from "Calendar A" and "Calendar B.'

That's it for the first sync.

But, for future syncs, I will have to delete all entries from "Calendar," and then copy all entries from "Calendar A" and "Calendar B" to it in order for "Calendar" to have current data.

It might become such a hassle to do this technique for a long time, but perhaps it will be worth it for some folks to use it. Anyway, I'm hoping that the iTunes or iPhone will be updated soon to fix the multiple calendar sync issue.

Note: To copy all the entries from a calendar, just select the calendar, choose View | Current View | All Appointments, and then Click Ctrl-A to select all entries. Then choose Edit | Copy to Folder and select the appropriate calendar to copy to.

ALSO: I would advise backing up your calendar data before you do as I've suggested. Simple errors can happen that would erase your calendar data, and that would defeat the whole point of what you're doing. Some of the copying can be undone, but some others can't. Be careful!