Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwowders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
Hi all!

The (probably common) scenario:
My wife has an iPhone
I have an iPhone
We have one computer at home (pc, not mac)

My iPhone is happily connected to my iTunes and syncs / transfers music etc.

Hers isn't (she registered it on her mums computer which has since died) but she would like to connect it upto mine and transfer a few of my albums onto her phone - which doesn't seem unreasonable!

When we try and sync her phone we get the message about "erasing all content and syncing everything" which seems a little harsh given that she doesn't want my contacts / photo's etc. to replace all of hers.

How do we do this? We can't change any settings on her mums iTunes on her computer as this doesn't exist any more (I was led to believe that I could set something to allows items to be manually sync'd across on the iPhone's 'home' pc).

All suggestions gratefully received!!!

gwowders

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
By way of an update - we have since managed to recover the pc that the wife's iPhone was originally registered on but this still only gives us the "Erase and Sync" option - so it doesn't recognise the phone at all!

Options?

mstrze

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2009
My wife and I have our phones synced to one computer and they do not share the same photos, contacts...etc. YOU specify what you want to sync to each iPhone. Sure, we have some of the same, but certainly not all.

Now, since your wife's phone is coming from a foreign computer, I am not sure what will happen to the data already on it. I would think it would keep the local items like contacts or in-phone pictures and you should be able to add anything else you want based on your choices in that iPhone's section on iTunes.

Don't quote me on this, as I have never switched host computers with an iPhone before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.