Sync iTunes and iPhoto to Home Server

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bradsnw, Jul 17, 2009.

1. bradsnw macrumors newbie

Thanks for taking the time to ready this, and hopefully help out. I purchased my first Mac when the Unibody's came out late 2008. It's been tough, but I'm finally at the point where I can ditch my PC (except for Quicken).

I have copied all of my music files to Music folder, and pictures to Pictures folder. I have iLife '09, and all of the latest updates. I want to use both programs to manage and organize these files.

Where I need help, is syncing these organized/modified media files to my home server. I have a PC and Linux Laptop, Linux Mediacenter, and Xbox 360 that I want to be able to access these files on my home network.

Time machine is backing up my Mac laptop to my home server, but I want to install additional software that will continually sync the files on my Mac over to this server to view on other devices. Any suggestions?

I want my Mac to manage all these files, so it only needs to sync/copy one way, hopefully automated.

I read about drop box and a few other cross platform syncing programs, but I have no idea which folder on my Mac to include. Where does iTunes and iPhoto store modified these files?

How do I manage their respected libraries?

Is this going to be more trouble than what it's worth?

2. uberjason macrumors member

uberjason

Assuming by home server you mean Windows Home Server? I too am managing a large itunes library, mostly videos to WHS. I have been in the migration process for the last week as the library is quite large, 500+ dvd's that I own ripped into mp4 format. The only caveats found with WHS is that it has a very slow transfer rate writing to the WHS drives. This is well documented and much information can be found via google. Other than that you have two options. Move your itunes library (complete folder) from your mac to the WHS share, then point itunes at the WHS share (containing your itunes library). Or create a new itunes library on WHS and then manually move the media over (this is the option I chose) as my WHS is utilizing multiple external USB drives. I hope that answers your question.

-Uberjason

3. bradsnw thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have HP Home Server upgraded with LE-1640 processor and 2 GB of Ram. Best thing I have ever done with this server - made huge performance increases.

If I point my iTunes library to the server share, I'm guessing that those files will not be available away from my network - which wont work for me.

When you modify a song in iTunes, such as the track name, artist, etc... - does iTunes modify the actual file with these changes? That folder/file is what I want to sync back to the server. Same for iPhoto.

Thanks again.

4. uberjason macrumors member

uberjason

Yes, when you change meta data for a song or video, it changes the settings within the media (writes the tag). There are many sync programs or apps out there... Personally, I would just make something to sync your library with Automator. You could even get creative and have it schedule a sync time.

-Uberjason

5. bradsnw thread starter macrumors newbie

Right now my media on my Mac is in the Music and Pictured folders. When the file is modified doesnt iPhoto or iTunes move the modified file? Where?