Sync Macbook drive with AEBS Drive help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jamin100, May 22, 2009.

1. jamin100 macrumors 6502

Hi Guys,

Hope this is the right place to post this.

Here's the situation.

I have a macbook with a 320GB HD. I have set the macbook up with 2 partitions, Data and OS. I also have a Airport Extreme to which i have attached a 1TB WD MyBook via USB. The mybook has 2 x 500GB partitions. 1 for time machine and the other for Data backup.

Now, On my macbook i don't have time machine set to backup the data partition. I back this up manually to the data partition on the mybook. The reason for this is that i want the data partition which contains movies and photo's to be available to my other wireless devices.

I want to be able to sync the information on my macbooks data partition with the data partition on the mybook. I've tried apps like carbon copy cloner and superduper but they wont see the mybook attached to the AEBS.

Is there any other way i can achieve this without having to plug the mybook in via USB?

Thanks in advance.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What you need is a synchronization application, not a disk-to-disk copier. It just so happens that there's a free action available for Automator that does exactly this.

3. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks,

Never used automator before, is it easy to do?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes, very simple. Add the action to an otherwise empty workflow, set up the two folders to synchronize, and click run. Let it do its thing.

5. jamin100 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, I'll give this a try when i get home!