Sync Macbook itunes like iPod from bigger Main library

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by peeaanuut, Sep 10, 2009.

1. peeaanuut macrumors 65816

I am looking for a way to synch my iTunes library on my macbook like an iPod. Basically, my main iTunes library on my mac mini is HUGE. Way bigger than will fit on the 250gb drive on my macbook. So I am looking for a way to sync my macbook in the same fashion as an iPod. I want to choose a few playlists to send over and keep synced. Maybe 50gb or so of data so that when I am away from my main computer I can have music with me.

The reason I want to do this is my 30GB ipod recently dove off the deep end and I dont have the finances to get a new one yet. But I usually have my laptop with me most places and like to listen to music.

I have found ways to keep 2 libraries synced but not be able to partially sync one.

Anyone have any ideas on how or if this is even possible?

2. peeaanuut thread starter macrumors 65816

OK, whos not the genious? THIS GUY!!!!

I am guessing that is what home sharing does?

3. Ancandis macrumors member

Ancandis

I need to sync my MBP with my mini's iTunes library as well.

Keeping the 5-star songs on the MBP with the latest metadata (last played, skipped, etc.) plus some video podcasts and I'm a happy camper.

I tried TuneRanger, but it's awful to use and does not sync tracks properly.

4. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

It's not an easy solution by any means, but I copied my entire iTunes Library from my iMac to my iBook, overwriting what was on the iBook. I can now take the song files from one iTunes library to another, and if they are in playlists, they are recognized if I import the exported playlist files as well. That was back in the day though.

Not the greatest solution by any means, but I figured I'd at least throw it out there. I've found Home Sharing basically takes over that responsibility for me now though.