Sync Macbook to iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DJMANRC, Oct 28, 2010.

1. DJMANRC macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I'm new to these forums and am turning to you for help. I have searched all over but can't find anything to answer my question.

Essentially, I want to have 2 computers. I would like to have an iMac at home and travel with my MBA. However, I want to be able to have mirror-like settings on both.

For instance, I travel around and edit a document on my MBA, then when I get home I look at the same document on iMac and its the old version.

I would like to have EVERYTHING on iMac and then just take what I need and put it on a the MBA like I do with iPad. Then if I take my "Pleadings" folder with me, I can work on both computers and everything stays together and sync'd.

I'm sure I made no sense, but if anyone can see through this nonsense I just wrote, I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks in advance!

rC

2. DisneyRicky macrumors regular

DisneyRicky

DropBox for files and folders
    Plaxo for Address Book and iCal events

3. chrisandersen macrumors 6502

chrisandersen

4. RandomMacBob macrumors newbie

Search for Chronosync. Have not tried it myself but I think it does what you want.

5. PreetinderBajwa macrumors regular

Chronosync - Yes

Its a great software, was a boon to have when I was trying to sync my 17" MBP with the MBA ! Never caused a problem and was very easy to use.

This is coming from someone who see's 10 lines of instructions and thinks that the whole thing is too complicated !:eek:

6. DJMANRC thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for all the replies. I want to have a set up similar to my iPad whereas I sync my ipad, not with every file or folder, but just with those that I select, keeping everything on the Mac. However, what I would like to do is have the feature where when I edit something on the MBA, when I plug it back in to sync with iMac, it auto-updates those files.

iDisk is a quick fix, but I want to do this with movies and others larger media.

Thanks!

And syncing doesn't have to be over the air. If I have to plug into the iMac, that would be fine too. thank you.

I just want to have 2 computers with one (iMac) holding everything and then one holding some of the stuff from the iMac.