Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmskaggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
My wife is currently syncing her 64 gigabyte iPad to her MacBook which has relatively limited hard disk space. She would like to put as many movies on as possible on her iPad.
Is there a way to sync movies from the MacBook hard drive via iTunes to her iPad then delete these from the MacBook? When I delete the movies from the iTunes library, it also removes the movies from the iPad the next time I sync the iPad.

Thanks

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
My wife is currently syncing her 64 gigabyte iPad to her MacBook which has relatively limited hard disk space. She would like to put as many movies on as possible on her iPad.
Is there a way to sync movies from the MacBook hard drive via iTunes to her iPad then delete these from the MacBook? When I delete the movies from the iTunes library, it also removes the movies from the iPad the next time I sync the iPad.

Thanks

Put the movies on an external HD. Problem solved.

Cheers,

wmskaggs

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2010
Can I disconnect the external drive, though?

Thanks for the suggestion

Will I need to have the external drive connected to the MacBook each time she syncs the iPad (to avoid removing the movies from the iPad)?

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
As long as the movie isn't deleted from iTunes itself, I'm pretty sure you can delete the underlying file and it won't delete from your iPad. In other words, the trick is to delete the file from its folder on your computer and NOT directly from iTunes.

Easiest way to know for sure is it to try it with one movie. Put it in the recycle bin and then sync.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Thanks for the suggestion

Will I need to have the external drive connected to the MacBook each time she syncs the iPad (to avoid removing the movies from the iPad)?

No, I have a 1.5TB external FW800 drive filled with videos and I get an error every time I sync that it could copy "x" of files because they were unavailable but it does not delete them if they're already on the phone.

Cheers,

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
You can manually manage music and movies if you don't want to sync it each time.

That is the way to go.

One can actually drag the movie directly from your drive to the iPad in iTunes without even adding that movie to iTunes.

flavouringlife

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2010
Australia
Agree with the suggestion to sync manually or selected folder to avoid movie deleted from iPad everytime you sync.

Another option is transfer movie file via to other app rather than video. If all your file format supported in iTunes then should working with Goodreader.

Goodreader not sync to iTunes automatically but need to transfer file manually, reduce the risk of deleting the files everytime you sync. Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.