Sync: Multiple Computers, Locations... Central Server?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by whyrichard, Aug 20, 2009.

1. whyrichard macrumors 68000

Hello,

I need to keep files synced as I move around from different locations and different machines. I also need a few of these project folders to be accessible by different users.

I have a desktop windows xp machine at work, a windows xp machine in my studio, and two mac laptops at home. What I want to do is to keep folders and files synced up between all of these computers using the internet primarily.

I’ve tried using Tortoise SVN, which I use at work, but the mac client plugin is frustrating about ssl permissions or whatever, and the Versions SVN program ($50) doesn’t seem to allow me to use the finder, I have to use their finder browser program itself, which makes it a nuisance. If I could get SVN for mac to work as well as tortoise it might be a decent solution.

People suggest chronosync, and in some way using chronosync with ‘Back to my Mac’, which is an interesting idea. But my concerns are: --will I be able to sync files from my work computer that will later be accessible from my mac at home? How do I “envoke” a sync on my mac at home from work? And also, what if my mac laptop isn’t on? Seems like a central server based solution is best…

Thanks for any and all advice,
    r.

2. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Might want to take a look at windows live sync (used to be foldershare before MS bought it).

3. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

windows live sync = WOW.

very impressive so far, very easy to use, very free, and lots of storage space...

might sound silly, but i can't wait for a google or a mac version of this... hello mac cloud?

r.

4. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    similar to Windows live sync, there is also Drop Box.

You said that you work with SVN at work so are you syncing some source code ?

With both solutions, you should keep on mind the confidentiality of the data you will be syncing. Since those are server side solutions, you will be uploading the data to the Microsoft/DropBox servers.

That might be against yours or your company's policy so keep that on mind ;)

tex

5. whyrichard thread starter macrumors 68000

Problem with windows live sync… all the computers need to be on and online at the same time in order to sync???!!!! This makes it un useful for me. Is there a way to have it work without requiring all computers be on and online simultaneously?

Am willing to pay for a solution that works!

thanks
    r.

6. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Have you tried DropBox ? No need for the computers to be online.