Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
I have music on my iPod but i need to reformat my computer. Is there a way to reverse sync instead of itunes to iPod i want iPod to iTunes. how would i do this?

Seanasaur

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2007
There sure is.

After reformatting and reinstalling iTunes, click Edit, and go into Preferences. Click the Advanced tab, and put a checkmark in the box labeled Copy files in the iTunes library to the iTunes music folder.

Plug in your iPod. If you get a message about syncing it, just click Cancel. DO NOT click sync, as this will cause you to lose everything. Also, if you don't already have your iPod enabled for disk use, now would be the time to do it (iTunes>iPod>Summary>check in enable disk use checkbox). Provided you're using Windows, go into Control Panel>Appearance and Themes>Folder Options>View tab. Put a check (or uncheck, depending on the description) in any box that mentions displaying system or hidden files and folders. Go into My Computer, and double click your iPod. Find the folder called iPod Control. Right click on it, go to properties, and uncheck the box next to the word 'hidden.' Click OK. If any dialogue box comes up asking if you want to apply the setting to its contents, say yes or OK.

After all that's done, go back into iTunes, and click on File and Add Folder to Library. Navigate to the iPod Control folder and click OK. This may take some time to complete depending on how much content is on your iPod.

That should be all you need to do! If you have purchased games on your iPod, all you have to do (after authorizing your newly reformatted machine to play your iTunes purchases) is click the Transfer Purchases button whenever your iPod is plugged in, but ONLY AFTER you've taken the above steps to restore your music/videos.

Hopefully this helps. If you have any further questions/problems, please post them.

Helen-back

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2008
There sure is.

After reformatting and reinstalling iTunes, click Edit, and go into Preferences. Click the Advanced tab, and put a checkmark in the box labeled Copy files in the iTunes library to the iTunes music folder.

Plug in your iPod. If you get a message about syncing it, just click Cancel. DO NOT click sync, as this will cause you to lose everything. Also, if you don't already have your iPod enabled for disk use, now would be the time to do it (iTunes>iPod>Summary>check in enable disk use checkbox). Provided you're using Windows, go into Control Panel>Appearance and Themes>Folder Options>View tab. Put a check (or uncheck, depending on the description) in any box that mentions displaying system or hidden files and folders. Go into My Computer, and double click your iPod. Find the folder called iPod Control. Right click on it, go to properties, and uncheck the box next to the word 'hidden.' Click OK. If any dialogue box comes up asking if you want to apply the setting to its contents, say yes or OK.
After all that's done, go back into iTunes, and click on File and Add Folder to Library. Navigate to the iPod Control folder and click OK. This may take some time to complete depending on how much content is on your iPod.

That should be all you need to do! If you have purchased games on your iPod, all you have to do (after authorizing your newly reformatted machine to play your iTunes purchases) is click the Transfer Purchases button whenever your iPod is plugged in, but ONLY AFTER you've taken the above steps to restore your music/videos.

Hopefully this helps. If you have any further questions/problems, please post them.

Hey there, I seem to be having the same problem and was following this step by step and all was going fine until I reached the step, highlighted in red, I cant seem to find an 'Ipod Control' folder!? Any ideas as to why this has happened?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.