Sync my iphone with a new mac

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Hei, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Hei macrumors newbie

I have recently replaced my PC with a MBP. When I sync my iphone with the new mac for music, it said my iphone is synced with another itunes library and I have to erase the iphone content in order to sync with the new library. If I select erase and sync, does it erase everything, or just the music portion? I want to keep all my apps but just sync music, is there a way to do this?

Also, my iphone has all my contacts and my mac has none. So, if I check the sync box for contacts, does my contacts transfer from my iphone to the mac, or do they transfer from the mac to the iphone (which means it erase all my contacts in the iphone)? Obviously, I want to transfer my contacts in my iphone to the mac, how should I do that?

Thank you!

2. androiphone macrumors 65816

1. on your new MB download any old free app then

2. go to C:\Users\<username>\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Mobile Applications and copy everything in there to a usb drive

3. then in your mac go to finder then <username> music/itunes and there should be a similar Mobile Applications folder paste all your apps into that

4. activate itunes (remember to deactivate itunes on the windows pc cause you can only have 5 activated)then go add folder to itunes and browse to that app folder on the mac and all your apps will show up in itunes then they will sync with your iphone, after you click 'erase and sync'

you will (might) loose your contacts but there will be a way of getting them off your phone and into, say, outlook on a pc then I would upload them to gmail and then use google sync to sync your contacts (makes stuff like this way easier)

yeah use this on your windows pc http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1386 and choose 'replace the data on your computer' then I would upload the contacts from outlook to gmail and then do the gmail sync thing

3. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

When you plug your phone in it should ask to "transfer purchases" this will take care of all your apps and *!!PURCHASED!!* iTunes media.

Anything not purchased has to be moved manually.

4. aldorande macrumors member

I have all my contact on my iPhone 3G and none on my iMac running Mac OS X 10.6.2 / iTunes 9.

Can I transfer my contacts from my iPhone to my Mac?
    I saw an Info Tab > Sync Adress Book contacts. Will it offer me the possibility to keep the contacts on my phone?

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Jusy sync it. You'll be fine. To be safe use Funambol to store them online before you do this.

6. aldorande macrumors member

Okay I did that and I ran the Sync and it gave me the option to Merge :)
    it copied everything on my iMac.

it's finishing the Backup now. Do you know if the Contact are being backed-up somewhere else?

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I forgot to remind you about merge. I hope you picked merge.

Contacts are only backed up to the backup. To have them in a seperate place, you SHOULD sync them to Address Book (time and time again members here do not sync their contacts), which is what you already did.

8. Ephoenix, Sep 1, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

Ephoenix macrumors newbie

When you want to sync iPhone with new Mac, you can connect them via iTunes and then export files to Mac.
    Or you can also download a useful transfer program to help you directly without losing any files in iPhone.
    If it doesn't work, you can scan this article to know transfer Contacts from iPhone to Mac.
    Hope it succeed.