sync my itunes with 2 macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ollie N, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Ollie N macrumors regular

Ollie N

Hi
    i have 2 macs (one early 2008 macbook (leopard) and an 2007 i mac (tiger but might get leopard)). And i have mobile me (just saying because this might help) and i want to be able to sync my music from computer to another. is this possible? Apple said there might be a way but they didn't know. But please don't give me a solution with an external hard drive i don't have one (and i can't afford one). I just want to be able to sync itunes with the 2 macs. :confused: Please help. thx!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Ollie N thread starter macrumors regular

Ollie N

4. jslavin macrumors newbie

How to sync itunes

For all those who have gone nuts trying to figure out how to keep iTunes AND playlists AND folders of playlists fully synced between two or more Macs it just became simple (may work with windows too, did not test):

1. On the master computer place the entire Music folder into Windows live sync, YES get Windows Live Sync, totally free and super with Macs. Just be sure none of your files or folders use a / symbol in the title.
    2. Add the Music folders of all other computers you want to sync onto Windows Live sync from each computer.
    3. Let them fully sync.
    4. Restart the other computer, do NOT load iTunes.
    5. Delete all iTunes plists in your home folder library/preferences
    6. Start iTunes on the second computer and decline all options. Your music and playlists are all there exactly as on the first computer. Now you can add music to anyone of them and they will all stay in sync.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This is very interesting. Does it work with a mixed environment of windows and Macs? I know it should be obvious but just curious if you have done this?

IE Main folder is on a PC and three Macs accessing the pc's iTunes library.