sync-o-rama and other mindless ramblings

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pengu, Aug 17, 2007.

1. pengu macrumors 6502a

ok, so i've ordered a new MBP and I'm just starting to think about a few little things..

my current main machine is a dual 2ghz G5 PowerMac, with 3gb RAM and it HAD 250GB (factory) + 500GB drives until.. well my July got worse

anywho. so i HAD my home drive setup on the 500GB and the OS on the 250. most of the content for said Home drive was Music/Movies/etc.

So, given the limited HDD space, i don't think i'll need most of the music on the laptop, a new ipod will handle that quite well, but some things i will want to keep a copy on the laptop, and a copy on the G5 (so that scheduled backups can run without me having to remember to plug the laptop into a drive)

so my thoughts are to use something like MarcoPolo with a "Home" trigger to run something like File Synchronization to sync the required data..

of course with leopard so close, that introduces another little interesting thing.. would OSX Server and a "mobile user account" be a better option? how will "Back to Mac" in Leopard affect this?

and last off.. hardware wise.. sometime in the near future i will be getting an SR6600 which means i could either
    a)plug it into the G5 and use an NFS/AFP share to access it from the Lappy;
    b) sell the G5, and just plug in the external drive when im at home;
    c) sell the G5 and get a Mini to replace it (see point a) (i'd like to think the G5 will at least cover the cost of a new Mini, given the 3gb ram and 6800 video card, but will use so much less power/space)

im sure some of you are in a simmilar position, how do you get around the "two machines, what's duplicated and whats not, and how is it backed up" situation?

2. pengu thread starter macrumors 6502a

nobody else has this dilemna and/or a solution/suggestions!?

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I use Chronosync to keep things synced up on my several macs.