Sync one folder between two macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oddsock81, Sep 3, 2012.

1. oddsock81 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I work as a freelance designer and have a MacBook Air and Mac Pro – most of the time I use the Air. What I’m after is a solution to sync work files on both machines automatically (the folder is about 10GB in size).

I do use DropBox, and this is the sort of solution I would like, just localised to my two computers. Also I don’t like the idea of having to pay $99 a year to a solution.

I did think of using Time machine, but as I understand if I set it up so that my Air backs up onto my Pro then it will just end up eating away at the space on my Pro?

So I’m after a sort of DropBox solution (without the subscription fee) where the folder is synced between two machines, so that it does not rely on my to manually sync the new bits.

Many thanks,

Keith

2. JimWPVB macrumors member

Hope you get an answer!

Dropbox is the best solution that I am aware of, unless iCloud also has that capability (I don't think it does unless you are using an Apple program). Logmein can easily sync folders, but it is a manual process (to my knowledge) although very straightforward. Dropbox is a much better solution in my view for you stated objectives and it is very reliable. I use both Dropbox and Logmein everyday, so these comments are based on my experience with each program and their syncing capabilities.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. oddsock81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the quick responses. For some reason i had it in my head that for a free account you could only go up to about 6gb before you had to pay on dropbox.

Also thanks for the additional links about ways of getting more space.

5. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

Hey guys,

this is good stuff. I have about 4.5 gig on drop box and my clients keep bombing it.

Nonetheless, I'm looking for the same solution. Does dropbox limit your transfers?

For example I have a few folders I need to sync all the time (ie, end of day every day or during lunch). From my days in unix I was just syncing the files over using rysnc, but was looking for a more friendly solution - I guess I could cron a job to run at lunch every day to check if folders need syncing... the beauty of rysnc.

Again, I'd prefer a more user friendly setup since I've intentionally forgotten everything I learned from those darks days as an IT professional...

Thanks again!
    Brina

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not at all.