Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leigh Gristock

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2020
Hi everybody!
I’m new to MacBook and trying to muddle my way through everything.
I have an extensive music collection, far more than 100,000 tracks that are are all stored on an external HDD and then all linked into carefully selected playlists in iTunes on my PC.
I’m searching for the easiest and most concise way of either duplicating this, syncing and finally moving to Mac for good. iTunes Match doesn’t work for me as the 100k limit excludes me.
As Windows would look for a drive path, how would the MacBook be able to do the same without drive letters.
Need good advice before trashing years and years of tender love producing my playlists.
Regards
Leigh

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Consolidate your library first.

That way all your music will be in your iTunes Media Folder. Then it should just be a matter of placing your iTunes folder into the Music folder on the Mac. When you open iTunes it should see the iTunes library. Since all your music is in the correct default folder. Everything should be readily accessible.

Then on the Mac. You can fuss about changing the iTunes Media Folder location. If you want everything in an external.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.