sync OSX Mail with .mac mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fjs08, Jul 10, 2007.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Hi,

I try to sync my OSX Mail with .mac mail, but choosing from OSX to .mac. I want my smart boxes from OSX to go to .mac. It appears to work, but nothing really happens. I do this through System Preferences, .Mac. What could I be doing wrong??

Frank

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I'm a little confused on what you are trying to do, but what I think you are trying to do is to get the smart mailboxes you have created in mail.app to show up when you access your .mac mail account via the webpage login. Is this correct?

Unfortunately, this is not possible. Smart mailboxes are stored locally on your machine, not on the .mac server thus will not show up on the webpage. The smart mailbox syncing that is found in System Preferences->.Mac is to sync smart mailbox between multiple computers not between a computer and the webpage.

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>but what I think you are trying to do is to get the smart mailboxes you have created in mail.app to show up when you access your .mac mail account via the webpage login. Is this correct?<<

Exactly. I'd like to have a carbon copy of my OSX Mail on my .mac so when I travel, or use another computer, I have a copy of my work. Currently, I use Gmail a lot, and basically that's what I get. Since it's web based, I have my work everywhere. Of course, the logical extension of this is to consistently use .Mac mail<g>. It's a thought, but I really like Gmail, etc. I'll have to play with .Mac mail a bit more. On Gmail, I have my calendar, Notebook, e-mail, etc. It's very nice. Not to mention a primitive, but functional word processor and spreadsheet.

>>Unfortunately, this is not possible.<<

Oh well. Thanks for the info.

Frank

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

All of your email is still there, just not the smart mailboxes. Perhaps you want to set up rules and use regular mailboxes? THOSE would sync.