Sync outlook calendar without exchange access?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MaxBurn, May 9, 2011.

1. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

The goal is I want my work calendar available on my iPhone. The problem is IT won't let me into the network to synch with exchange directly.

Looking at the phone I see that gmail has no push but it does have a calendar item in the stock mail/calendar apps but it has no push for gmail listed. Looking at hotmail it has no calendar but does have push listed. Ideally I would like to have the calendar on push so appointment notifications work on the iphone like they do on the blackberry, with me doing nothing, they just show up.

Oulook 2007 and I am an administrator on my computer.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Are you sure you're not going to get in huge trouble for this? Sometimes IT says things becaue they just don't want to bother with it but other times they say things because they have directives from the top to not let certain things happen.

Breaching security plans at your company is not healthy for your career.

I'm not saying you will be breaking any rules, mind you. I don't know your company. I'm just asking: Do you know for sure you won't be?

3. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

4. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

"Special people" are allowed to synch to exchange directly. I have asked and I guess I am not special enough so I don't want to deal with the exchange server itself. Anything dealing with that server I won't be allowed to do. The information on my computer however is fine for me to use.

Looking for some sort of plugin on my machine that will take my calendar items and shove them out to gmail/hotmail. Maybe outlook can do that somehow all by itself?

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I think the more recent versions of Outlook can sync with things like g-mail or maybe even Yahoo. If yours does something like that then you're home-free. You'll have to search google about the version you have, though.

6. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

If you are absolutely sure you won't get in trouble for installing software and extracting calendar info from you work, here is a nice solution to bypass exchange:

Install Google Calendar Sync on you work PC. It will sync everything (two-way) to the online Google Calendar. from there you can sync it to iphone and Mac (nothing else required) or if you want to sync to another PC install the plugin on it too.

Hope this helps :)

7. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Damn, I didn't know about the gmail calendar synch app. I love a small little program that just does exactly what you want.

8. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Hmm, I guess if the PC app checked based on new/changed items to update a little more intelligently and on the other end gmail supported push it would be perfect.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You're talking about your iPhone? G-Mail supports push.

Set it up as an Exchange account on the phone.

10. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Ah, thanks. I did use the built in easy settings to add it as just gmail.

11. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yeah, I really wish the iPhone folks would ask you 'do you want IMAP or Exchange?' after you select 'G-Mail' on the setup screen.

How hard would that be, Apple? And then you wouldn't need strangers on the internet to explain it to you.

12. MaxBurn thread starter macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

That would be nice. Anyway it is all working now with push even.