Sync photos across devices?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by thedon1, Sep 23, 2014.

1. thedon1 macrumors 6502

in iOS, if i took a picture on my phone, it'll automatically appear in my iPads camera roll. Now that the camera roll has gone do I lose this functionality?

I know there's a new feature (sorry forgotten the name) within photos that will host and sync your pictures but I don't have that in my settings.

Am I stuck untill that feature is available and out of beta?

2. BrettDS macrumors 65816

The feature that let you share photos among devices in iOS 7 was photostream. I don't remember for sure, but I'm pretty sure that those photos didn't automatically appear in the camera roll on all of your devices, but just in the photostream folder (although i could be wrong about that). It also only temporarily held photos... they would stay there for 30 days or until you had 1000 photos.

In any case, you can still enable photostream in iOS 8 and it will work the same way it did in iOS 7. The new option is iCloud Photo Library, but for some reason that doesn't seem to be available to everyone right now (and for those that can see it, it's clearly marked as beta). I'm hoping it will be working for everyone and out of beta with iOS 8.0.1 or 8.1.