Sync photos on iPad to iPhoto on iMac

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Bikerbob, Nov 20, 2010.

1. Bikerbob macrumors newbie

I just had the hard drive on my iMac fail. All of my photos are on my iPad. The question, which I hope someone can help with is.....when I sync my iPad with Itunes will all the photos from my iPad be put back in iPhoto. If any one has the answer to this ..... you would be my Hero.

2. McGilli macrumors 6502

I'm positive you will LOSE all the photos. When you sync back up to itunes, and it doesn't have the 'sync photos' option enabled, with the exact same pictures/folders on the iMac as the last time you synced (before the crash) - then they will be removed from the iPad to match what is on the iMac :(

3. Simonkey75 macrumors newbie

Simonkey75

Hi Bikerbob

McGilli is right - the reinstalled iTunes on your refreshed hard drive will view the iPad as being synced with another iTunes Library, ask you if you want to sync it with the new Library and promptly delete all your photos off of it.

However, you can still rescue them! You can either invest in a third-party iPad file explorer app for OS X, or, if practical depending on how many photos you have on it, you can email them all directly from the iPad Photos App to your own email account when you've set it back up on your iMac, save them out and add them to your new iPhoto Library.

Hope this helps!

4. big samm macrumors 65816

you can use iPhoto on your Mac then copy all your iPad pictures to your computer before syncing....

5. Hans Brix macrumors 6502

This is what I've done before. After connecting the iPad, stop the sync with the slider, open up iPhoto, select the iPad in the left pane, select all your pictures in the right pane and import them.

6. big samm macrumors 65816

Maybe you should try a app like cinq that let's you sync your photos with iPhoto over wifi or 3G...

7. bfh123 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I was about to post a thread asking if I HAD to use Itunes to sync photos.

This looks like I can use Iphoto to impport just the ones I want? Is that correct? It's a pain in the )@#*$)@#*$ if I dont want to synch every photo in a folder with itunes.

Thanks

8. kchamussy macrumors member

Hi everyone,
    If you want a quick way to transfer photos from any album on your iPad to your computer you can take a look at 'Photo Transfer App' (I'm the developer of the app). Here is a video that shows how the app works and how to transfer from iPad to computer:

http://www.phototransferapp.com/iPadToComputer.html

You can transfer 56 photos at one time. The only requirement is to have your iPad and your computer connected to the same wifi network.

I hope the app will be useful to you!

Cheers,

Enrique