Sync "Pictures" folder to cloud service (any)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sdsvtdriver, Apr 28, 2012.

1. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

I'd like to sync my "Pictures" folder to a cloud service to have them backed up offsite. My TM drive is a NAS in the same location. I am having difficulty accomplishing what should be a simple task. So far I have tried:

iCloud: I don't use iPhoto. Maybe a long term solution, but I don't have the desire to reorganize everything in iPhoto.

Google Drive: The root folder seems to be required to be "Google Drive". I can't select my "Pictures" folder. I do not want to waste HD space having 2 copies of my pictures. Can't add any folders outside of the GD root.

Microsoft Skydrive: The problem appears to be the same as Google Drive. The default root sync folder must be renamed "Skydrive"

I tried making an alias of the "Pictures" folder. Doesn't work. I tried a symbolic link. No go.

I can manually upload, but would prefer auto sync.

Has anyone successfully renamed the default root folders for Skydrive/GD? Any other ideas?

Thanks

2. appdk macrumors newbie

Install Microsoft Live Mesh

It allows you to select the folders you want to sync to Skydrive synced storage. The size of the synced storage is 5GB. This storage is added to your existing skydrive storage space. So, if you have 7GB for skydrive, you get 5GB more with Live Mesh. Live Mesh syncs also between devices. I have been using it for a long time. Works like a charm.

Web browser access to this synced storage is through devices.live.com. There is also a link to devices page in the skydrive web page.

3. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Dropbox seems like the simple solution to this (if I understand your issue correctly). It will properly follow symlinks from your Dropbox folder and upload them.

4. Xe89 macrumors regular

5. sdsvtdriver thread starter macrumors 65816

I have 25GB of Skydrive and this added 5GB. Sadly, Mesh tops out at 5GB and I have double that. If I could figure out how to use more Skydrive storage for this, it would be perfect. Thanks for the recomendation.

Didn't know it followed symlinks. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Interesting. This may work well at a reasonable cost. I'll have to learn more about S3. Thanks.