Sync problem between iCal and Entourage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by higgalls, May 21, 2008.

1. higgalls macrumors regular

Sync problem between iCal and Entourage
    Hey,

I have recently switched over my Calendar from Entourage to iCal. iCal is working great, and I was able to change all my appointments over easily due to the built-in Sync Services.

What I did was I set up Entourage to sync with iCal, and then in iCal, I created other categories and then moved my Entourage appointments into the categories I created in iCal. This is working great.
    However... there is one problem. All the appointments still exist in Entourage. Why do they exist in Entourage still? Shouldn't they have been deleted since they are no longer in the Entourage category in iCal?

So is there a way to fix this sync problem? (I don't want them being in Entourage still).
    Or, is there a way to delete all the appointments in Entourage so that I don't have duplicate alarms going off?

So, to summarise, the events do not exist in the Entourage category within iCal anymore, since I moved them out, but they still exist in Entourage calender itself. :)

Cheers,
    Chris

2. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

3. baboyako macrumors newbie

4. Roger Moore macrumors newbie

I know this isn't particularly helpful but thought some feedback on my problems in relation to this might prove useful. I spent many hours attempting to get a clean syncing solution to work between iCal and Entourage and eventually gave up. The problems I experienced included your issue but also I found future syncing of events between Entourage and iCal completely inelegant. The underlying structure of appointments is different and any multi-party events or recurring events were multiplied so many times that after each sync it recreated the events --- literally ending up with 30-40 copies of the same event on the same day.

I concluded that Entourage & iCal may have the ability to talk to one another but not in the same language. I've given up and manually enter work & home category events into both my calendar at work (Entourage) and my calendar at home (iCal) and just sync via .mac to copy entries across my macs.

5. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

HAHA - I love this bit.

Well I am purely using iCal now for my calendar system. Is there a way to remove all calendar entries in Entourage? (I still have some recurring ones that have alarms set). I would have thought that moving the events in iCal from the Entourage calendar to another one I created would have synced the change to Entourage so that it was no longer in there, but obviously not. Never mind.

Thanks for your input though - good to hear that I am not the only one pulling my hair out with it.

Cheers,
    Chris :)

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

One reason I was so excited about the iPhone was to have sync services with Entourage. Like you, I've had many problems. I will say it's been mostly trouble free, but just this last week I lost all of my calendar data in Entourage (I was able to rebuild it), and all of the contacts in Address Book (a simple export from Entourage and Import to AB fixed that).

Search around - there are plenty of problems syncing with Entourage, etc. :(

7. exxdream macrumors newbie

Get rid of Entourage Calendar

I discovered this yesterday by accident and it was pretty pathetic. I just started using Entourage with iCal and I was being hit by dual-alarms from both apps yesterday for all my events. I got very annoyed and just deleted the entire entourage calendar in iCal (I personally prefer the Entourage reminders) while the sync function in Entourage is still ON, next thing I know, EVERYTHING in Entourage calendar disappeared. I did not have a backup and had to enter all my events again, it wasn't that bad. This was a pain for me but could help you get rid of the stuff in Entourage. So leave sync on, delete "Entourage" calendar in iCal, done.

8. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

The "sync" means just that -- you should get the same information in iCal and in Entourage. It's not an import/export function.

To get the result you want go into entourage, turn off sync services (uncheck syncing within preferences). Then go to calendar and choose list view. Then select all. Then delete. Buhbye calendar entries.

9. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

Well thanks for the replies. This thread is 2 months old, and I have since stopped using Entourage completely.

Thanks anyway.

10. danny_w macrumors 601

Unfortunately Entourage works far better with MS Exchange than does mail.app, or anything else that I have found on the Mac. Since the rest of my company is all Windows and Outlook, I am stuck with Entourage for both email and calendars. It has worked pretty well for me thus far.

11. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah Entourage was good and was working well for me until I started thinking about Syncing, and then it was terrible. I now have the new 3G iPhone, so I am VERY happy I got rid of Entourage and started using Apples apps.

12. danny_w macrumors 601

So are you using mail.app to connect to an exchange server? How is it working? Are you using ActiveSync or OWA (Entourage can do either, with automatic setup).

13. higgalls thread starter macrumors regular

No im not using Exchange. Just syncing with my iPhone (was originally looking at syncing with Google Calendars etc, for my wife to be able to look at it too).