Sync problem with itunes

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dryspuri, Sep 7, 2010.

1. dryspuri macrumors newbie

hi, i am new owner of iphone, & believe me i have returned samsung galaxy s & got new iphone 4,
    now my problem is i have filled my iphone with songs, photos, apps & videos, something has gone wrong with my laptop & had to reinstall everything including itunes 10 (earlier was also itunes10) now when i connected my iphone to itunes & select option to sync, its giving me warning that content of my iphone are gonna be wiped, i think there is something seriously wrong here. why would i wipe my phone each time i reinstall itunes, am i missing something here, please help me here.

2. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

iTunes thinks you have a different library than you did before and the iPhone will only sync with one library at a time. Now that it thinks you have a new library, it wants to replace everything on it with the new library - even if it's exactly the same. Pretty stupid, eh? That's an Apple product for ya.

3. dryspuri thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, thanks for the quick reply, but its stupid, isnt it, this is really my first apple product, i am very much impressed by everything except this itunes problem, it wont get data from iphone? it wanna put its own data, is it called sync, sync means two way, but as i wan coming to say " its either apple way or Highway".
    :mad:

4. rsnaider macrumors member

It is Apples attempt to stop people from just connecting any iPhone/iPod to a any computer and coping music between them.

If you have purchased apps and music make sure you right click on your phone in iTunes and choose to Transfer Purchases from the iPhone back to iTunes. You can than just point iTunes back to your music/photos, etc. as I just went through this same process last month when I finially wiped XP and rebuilt the machine as Windows 7, new OS, but all the files where still on the machine, but a new sycn as far as iTunes was concerned.

You will lose your app folders and locations, but that should be the worst issue you have once you finially tell it to sync.

Good luck.