Sync profile between iMac and MacBook?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by altecXP, Jan 24, 2011.

1. altecXP macrumors 65816

Hello.

I recently got an iMac at home and replaced my 15in mbp with a 13in MB. When I come home i generally plug in my macbook to the network and power and then let it charge till I take it to work the next day. When I'm home I use my iMac for work.

Is there anyway for my iMac and MB to check the Home folder over the network and sync any file changes? I'm currently using Dropbox but would love a more seamless solution.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Dropbox may be the best thing for you. I use it and find with a bit of work, it can do almost anything.

3. altecXP thread starter macrumors 65816

That sounds close to what I was looking for but I was hoping for a solution that didn't need the internet.

4. simsaladimbamba

ChronoSync, based on the "rsync" command, does not need the internet besides downloading the application.
    You only need a local network (LAN), be it via Ethernet (faster due to Gigabit Ethernet ports on both Macs) or AirPort.

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Don't hate - Windows Live Mesh for OS X works wonders. It'll sync all sorts of stuff between your mac's and PC's, I think it uses the internet to detect changes but there's no uploading all your files to the cloud and re-downloading them, it'll work all through your lan.

6. captivator macrumors member

I'm in the process of trying this out ... so far so good.