Sync Programs on Multiple Macs?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by madnhain, Feb 12, 2010.

1. madnhain macrumors newbie

Greetings! I am the proud new owner of an iMac and Time Capsule.

I've had a MacBook Pro for some time, and am now wanting to sync all my programs (preferably without mobileme).

Many years ago, I was able to network multiple mac computers and have each of those macs draw their information from a common file on the server. For example, the mail program on each computer would reference it's mail file in the library which was an alias that pointed to the actual data file that was stored on the server. This was an easy way of linking the email, so when mail was altered on one computer, the changes were made (in essence) to all computers.

I would like to do that with my iMac and MacBook, but also the music library, iCal, Address Book etc.

Is there a way to set my Time Capsule up as a server to handle something like this?

Thanks for the input! I've tried a few things, but my old trick isn't working with this new equipment :)

~M

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You should be able to move select library folders to a network drive and put aliases to them in your libraries. If that doesn't work, I know it can be done in Dropbox, which has the added benefit of giving you an off-site backup of those files and allowing you to use the applications while away from home. Of course, for any sort of syncing like this to work, both computers will need to be running the same OS version.

3. madnhain thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe the version is the reason, my macbook pro is 10.5.8 and my iMac is 10.6.2.... would I be able to use the OS Install DVD i received with my new iMac on my Macbook to update it's OS version? or is that not a good idea.... just curious.

4. benjamin747 macrumors member

No...

You wouldn't be able to that. Those are iMAC system restore disks... Only for your model! The grey install DVDs are only for your Mac, they can't be used with any other Mac, except the ones, that are the same type as yours.

Remember SL is only 30 dollars! Then you MIGHT be able to use Target Disk mode to copy over everything... *MIGHT*

I haven't tried that...

5. madnhain thread starter macrumors newbie

PHP Server on Time Capsule?

Is it possible to run MAMP or some other Apache Server on Time Capsule for PHP and MySQL applications?

Thanks!

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

This really isn't the thread for this discussion, but no you can't. The Time Capsule is just a glorified external hard drive. I mean, you could move your web directory to the Time Capsule, but you'd still have to run the server on your Mac.