Sync question/problem

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spartanrob, Apr 29, 2011.

1. spartanrob macrumors 6502

spartanrob

Both my wife and I sync our iPhones on the same computer (Win XP).
    We do share a couple of apps, but not many.
    Now, every time I try to update an app through the app store on the phone, it prompts me for her password and then tells me I have to buy this app as it was originally purchased with my ID. I've tried logging out of the store and logging back in, but no luck.

Anyone seen this before? Any suggestions?

2. Flake macrumors regular

Flake

3. spartanrob thread starter macrumors 6502

spartanrob

Yes

4. shelbymayer macrumors regular

you might want to look into having one itunes account. You would never run into this problem.

What i'm guessing is happening is that you have an app that you have both purchased and you're simply syncing HER version of the same app...which is giving you the error when trying to update because you are logged into YOUR itunes account and not HERS which is why it is asking for HER pw...does that seem right?

If you have ONE itunes account you can still pick and choose what apps to put on each others phones but never run into having two versions of the same app

thats what I could gather from the information you provided...if that isn't the case a little more information would be helpful to give you proper advice!!! hope this helps!

5. spartanrob thread starter macrumors 6502

spartanrob

thanks for your input. you summed it up fairly well. it's just strange, because it just started happening. we don't have a lot of 'overlapping' apps. But, if one of her apps and one of my apps needs an update, the iPhone gets confused

6. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Same situation with my wife and I.

She has her account, I have mine. We share some apps, etc.

What I will do is in iTunes, update all the apps for my account. I'll see a few remaining that are under her account. I'll then log out of mine and then log in as hers. Then merely do another update of the apps.

When all is done, I'll then just sync up my phone. If I'm using any apps of her's on my phone, it'll sync the new version over just fine without passwords or anything.