Sync software for two iMacs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blacksmith1, Apr 16, 2013.

1. blacksmith1 macrumors newbie

What's a good software for keeping certain folders and data files in sync between two iMacs?

Anyone with any experience (more than just a few weeks) with any of the commercial products? I would like to have the desktop and most folders to keep in sync either automatically, or when necessary.

2. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

Have you tried using icloud for your document storage? Or Dropbox?

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Synchronize! Pro X. (Yes with the exclamation mark)
    Not free but you can test it if it's a good solution for you.

4. blacksmith1 thread starter macrumors newbie

As far as I know, iCloud won't let you use data files from other software, etc. I want to be able to sync any and all types of files, not just Apple files.

----------

I'll check it out. Not looking for free software.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

6. zObsidian macrumors member

Dropbox works well for certain documents that you want access to, the only problem being that the document must be in your Dropbox folder.

If you want to sync any file regardless of location, use rsync and Automator. Both are already on your Mac, setup is easy.

Link I pulled from Google:
    http://www.practicallyefficient.com/home/2011/03/18/rsync-automator

7. wlossw macrumors 6502a

wlossw

iCloud can be a save location for any app... not just apple produced ones. Next time you save a file look at the dialog box... you should see iCloud at the top as an option.

8. blacksmith1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Photoshop doesn't have an option to save the the iCloud. I've never seen that option on a program other than Apple apps.

Context menu for a folder doesn't show iCloud as an option either.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can symlink and folder to Dropbox and that will sync it with the original folder in place. For example, the Terminal command below will symlink the ~/Documents folder to Dropbox. Anything placed in the ~/Documents folder will be synced to Dropbox.

Not sure exactly what folders or tasks OP is trying to accomplish here, but this might do the trick.

Code:
    ln -s ~/Documents ~/Dropbox/Documents

10. blacksmith1 thread starter macrumors newbie

iCloud only lets you save documents from iCloud enabled software. That's nearly none of my software and none of my present documents were created in iCoud software so iCloud is not an option for me.

Thanks for the help anyway, guys.
    I'll find a software based sync system.

11. JoeRito macrumors 6502

JoeRito

12. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

It might sound obvious (that's strike two for me tonight) but why not using the already available rsync command and the "remote login" functionality? (Settings => Sharing Panel).
    Unless of course you're not comfortable with command line (I'm sure there are rsync GUIs out there though).
    You use that in conjunction with a daemon or a script in any language and you got yourself a free and "built in" way to sync between macs.

Just sayin'.