Sync the simple things thats problaly hard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kitki83, Aug 19, 2007.

1. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

I search for similar problems but they are outdated or talking about syncing with iPhone.

I have a mac pro, thats my primary and I just got a Mac Book. I want both computers to have the same Mail, Contacts, Calendar and have Documents show updated files.

From what I read Chrono Sync can do folders while, .Mac can do the software, honestly I do not want to spend a penny because of medical expenses.

Proposed Theory

Network the laptop to read the files off the Mac Pro since my working files are on separate hard drive, but can I do when I am online I have access to these files, from local to abroad connections (Mac Pro has to be online for this)
    Networking?
    How can I have mac book always connect to my Mac Pro when I have it connected to the Network at my house?

Making Mac Book open Mail, Cal, calendar Apps open from Mac Pro but I see files on my Mac Book, so actually updates Mac pro as I work on it in Mac Book since its one program two computers??

Now is this possible? I just want to keep it sane for me while working in my design files.
    And lastly when I have both computers connected by firewire it wont show up as disk in the desktop unless I boot one as firewire.

Thank you if I even make sense,

2. janey macrumors 603

janey

I just use gmail (or any other web-based mail) on all my computers with google notifier, which also includes contacts. then I use web-based calendars (again, like google). And I dump my documents either on my website, or a web-accessible location, or I can access my svn repository from home.. And then most of my friends have contact details on their facebook accounts...

Get the idea? :)

3. kitki83 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What does that mean? FTP access? I want to be able to access my files remote or local but don't want to download, tweak it and upload to make it the same. I want to be able to open file and save even if its slower.

Yeah Facebook is something I need to sign up because everyone is there.

4. janey macrumors 603

janey

Well, not exactly. But the thing is, I do stuff from all over the place (school, restaurant, walking down the street, Starbucks, home) and sometimes I don't have all my files with me, nor will I be able to necessarily do what you want. So what I do is grab it from home or wherever I might have stored a copy, edit it, and upload it back. I have one computer on my home network that's a dedicated server containing, among other things, my svn repository (think Time Machine from Leopard, except better), so I can also checkout and commit changes easily from anywhere. The bonus is that there's web interfaces for svn that let me view the different versions of a file and download whatever I want. The possible downside to you is that svn was designed to be a versioning system for software projects and similar things, not for just anything.

Otherwise, my server's non-versioned files are accessible from the web so I can download stuff like movies and music.

If you want to use FTP, there's a client called Transmit that'll let you edit files with your choice of app, and take care of the downloading/uploading for you.