Sync to Multiple Macs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ee99ee, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ee99ee macrumors 6502

ee99ee

I bought my first iPhone yesterday. wow! I love it!

I have one problem. I have searched the forums and can't seem to find an answer so I thought I'd post and see how it goes.

I have two macs. My macbook I use to keep my calendar, address book and Podcasts because I take it with me and like to stay up to date with my podcasts. My music collection is on my Powermac desktop at home because I have far more music than I could ever fit on my macbook.

What I've done in the past is turn of automatic syncing of my iPod. This allows me to plug it into my macbook and sync my podcasts, and plug it into my Powermac and drag-and-drop my music as I want. This is perfect.

The problem is I can't seem to do this with the iPhone. How can I use two macs with my iPhone? One for podcasts, calendar and address book and another for music/video?

-Chris

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I think you need the latest iTunes and possibly firmware to do this.

Make sure they are both up to date.

7.6.1 is the latest iTunes, and 1.1.4 is the latest iPhone software.

3. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

podcasts are considered music, and you can only sync music, and other media to one computer (wonder how apps will deal with this :confused:)

4. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

They are both up to date. When I try to use my powermac, it asks me if I want to erase and sync -- obviously I say no.

I've turned off automatic syncing on both and I can't get it work.

I don't mind managing the music and podcasts manually, that's really no problem. I would like my calendar and address book to sync automatically when connected to my macbook, but doing it manually isn't the end of the world either.

-Chris

5. ee99ee thread starter macrumors 6502

ee99ee

That's not true. My iPod nano does fine syncing podcasts to my macbook and music to my Powermac.

-Chris

6. Akitakoi macrumors regular

Akitakoi

7. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

your ipod nano is not an iphone ....

8. Fofer macrumors 6502a

You should be able to choose components on each, with the iPod sync preferences. Check music/video on one, but podcasts and info on another.

More info:
    http://chanatown.wordpress.com/2008/08/09/can-the-iphone-sync-with-multiple-computers/

What I am trying to do is use "manual mode" to be able to drag music from two different Macs onto the iPhone, as this tech note says I should be able to do:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1202
    (and yes, it lists the iPhone as an "affected product" on that page.)
    But it doesn't work. The 2nd Mac tries to erase my library. I might have to use SwapTunes (jailbreak app) instead.