Sync two folders between a PC and a MAC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DannyBres, Nov 7, 2007.

1. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

I have a Desktop and a MacBook

I would like My music and Documents to be sync between the two is this possible??

Thanks

Dan

2. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

As long as you can connect to your Windows machine over a LAN and mount its shared drives/folders on your MacBook, you can use ChronoSync to synchronize the contents of whatever folders you want. The software costs $30 USD for a licence, and you have a great deal of control over how it goes about syncing folders.

3. DannyBres thread starter macrumors 65816

DannyBres

thanks

how cheeky the preview picture for a pc is a monitor with the BSOD :p

4. DannyBres thread starter macrumors 65816

DannyBres

how do i mouit em?

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The other-way-round way to do it is to enable Windows sharing, mount the Mac folder on your PC and use Synctoy - a free (from Microsoft), and highly reliable tool to do this.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx

It's not cheeky - it's a particularly complacent brand of arrogance, especially as my XP/Vista machines are more reliable than any Mac in my possession.

6. wardwarmerdam macrumors newbie

DirSyncPro 1.4

Old as this thread may be, I thought it useful to post what I found as the best, free solution to cross-platforming syncing my mbp and pc, so that others who look at this thread, like I did, might find the solution they are look for. I didn't want to use Folder Share because I'd given up my Hotmail account after it had been hijacked, and I didn't want to get into the same problems again. Syncmate looked great, but I would have had to pay for what I wanted it to do. DirSynPro 1.4 did exactly what I wanted it to do in under 30 seconds, which previously took me 5-10 mins (syncing my work folder), it only synced changes, no overwrites, and gave a clear report of what it had done. Fantastic tool! I'm thinking of syncing my music folders with it too. That should be a good test as I have in the region of 140GB of music.

http://www.dirsyncpro.org/download.html

7. jhencken macrumors newbie

Thanks for the update

Thank you so much for adding this useful info to the old thread!

8. Robisan macrumors 6502

Bumping this old thread -- Does anyone know of a program that will sync pc, mac and a network attached storage drive? I'm looking for something that works like Dropbox/iCloud but localized within a home network, so everything syncs through the network drive instead of a cloud. Have 100gb+ of data/media files, which gets expensive using cloud sources. Any ideas? Thanks.

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Any of the above programs should work. They could be ran one after another.

Pc to Mac
    Mac to Nas

or

Mac to PC
    PC to Nas

Something along those lines

10. Robisan macrumors 6502

Yes, but what I'd really like is a Dropbox-type solution using the NAS server instead of relying on peer-to-peer connections. Something like this:

Mac <---> NAS <---> PC

11. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I haven't used it, but it looks like ownCloud may do what you want.

12. Robisan macrumors 6502

Perhaps it was my bad in using the term "server" when what I really mean is a simple network attached storage drive. My reading of ownCloud is it requires either a dedicated in-house computer/server as the hub or use of a third party server service via the Internet.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can do local network syncing with Dropbox.

14. Robisan macrumors 6502

Yes, but it also requires that the data being sync'd also be on the Dropbox servers as well. My needs are 100gb+ and I don't want to pay the monthly fees for that level of storage, especially since I'd still need NAS for Time Machine Mac back up and similar comprehensive PC backup.

15. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

With that much data, you'd get better performance by a wired LAN or by using an external drive directly connected to one computer to transfer files to it, then connect to the other computer to retrieve the files. After the initial transfer, syncing changes may result in a lot less data being transferred.

17. Robisan macrumors 6502

From what I understand the programs that come with this drive won't do what I want -- WD's vision is that data resides on the WD MyCloud drive and you only DL stuff as you need it. I'm probably going to buy one of these anyway because of its faster ethernet (vs usb) connection to the network.

~~~

@GGJstudios I have a MyPassport 3.0 to move the files and I can ethernet to the NAS to set that drive up (or if I go with WD MyCloud it has its own usb 3.0 port). I'm really just looking for something that will sync incremental changes automatically going forward every time one of the laptops is connected to the network. It'll be pretty rare that I have both in use at the same time, which is why I'm trying to avoid peer-to-peer (directly or thru the network).

I'm kind of surprised there isn't some cross platform program that replicates Dropbox/cloud-like functionality using NAS as the hub.

18. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

There has been for quit a long time now. It is called the PogoPlug. Surprised you never heard it.

19. Robisan macrumors 6502

I'd looked at this briefly but the Amazon reviews were so brutal I moved on. I've now looked at it more closely and from my reading of the users manual it doesn't appear to offer Dropbox-like syncing. It's just another option for centralized storage/access.

20. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Please update the thread if you find something that works well for you. I would love to do exactly the same thing.

21. Robisan macrumors 6502

Some interesting info here: Comparison of file synchronization software

The only thing that looked like Dropbox-type functionality using a local NAS is Tonido. Unfortunately they want annual license fees as opposed to just selling software. $29/yr for up to 100gb isn't bad though. Next increment is a pricey $99/yr for 200gb.