Sync two Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sleinad, Aug 10, 2011.

1. sleinad macrumors member

Hi,

I'm helping out my dad set up his new iMac, as I'm the tech guy of the family, however I have stumbled upon a problem. I can't figure out a way to sync the new iMac with his MBP.

Basically, he (my dad) wants only two things synced. iCal app and Mail App, however he doesn't want any of this to be kept in the cloud. Basically, he has a MobileMe account, and the minute he gets new email, he sorts it out and puts it in one of his mailboxes in the mail app. (These mailboxes are "On my mac", as in just kept on the Mac). Also, the iCal is only on his mac, and not synced with MobileMe.

So, basically I'm wondering if there is a simple way to ensure that once he is at home (local network) with his MBP both of the macs sync.

Ps Sorry for my english, I'm not a native speaker, however I hope I made myself clear enough to get the idea across.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, cloud is the only easy way to do this and I don't really see why wouldn't he want them in cloud. IMAP for Mail and Google Calendar for iCal sound like the best options IMO.

3. sleinad thread starter macrumors member

Tried convincing him to use the cloud, but as his email contains sensitive data, he refuses to do it. His reasoning is that email account passwords can be hacked, and I have to agree with him. So, I have completely given up on the idea of convincing him to use the cloud.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

His email already has a password and his emails are in the cloud. Depending on the kind of the email, it has been provided by the ISP or employer etc, meaning that it can be hacked, so I don't really see this as a good argument.

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

I don't know of any way to sync Mail that doesn't involve something up in the cloud. IMAP is the best way. I mean, really, all his email is in the 'cloud' before he even downloads it, so I don't see much of a difference.

As for Calendars, I also don't know of a way to do it without using some sort of cloud syncing service.

6. sleinad thread starter macrumors member

Yes, ISP and several servers have this data, however, if someone manages to get the password right now (besides ISP and those server admins) and go to, for example, me.com and input his login information, they won't find anything, as that email address is empty and all of those emails have been stored off site.
    ISP and Apple having this data isn't really the main concern, however having some punk (one of the hackers groups, such as anonymous and etc, isn't something worth risking for)