Sync with 2 computers?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by iThinkergoiMac, Sep 21, 2010.

1. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I just got a BlackBook, and I'm migrating from my PowerBook to that. Now, my wife is getting the PowerBook and because the hard drive in the PB is bigger, I'm planning to keep my iTunes Library on that. Trouble is, I use my Touch for lots more than just music (of course). The kicker is things like my address book and iCal, which I'd obviously prefer to do on my computer.

Is there a way to be able to do iCal and Address Book, etc, on my computer and still sync music with the PBG4? My Touch is jailbroken, if that helps. I may just have to bite the bullet and wait until I get a bigger HDD for my MacBook, but if I can have the best of both worlds now, I'd be pretty happy...

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

This used to be possible way back when, but I haven't tried recently, so I don't know if it still works. Try syncing the Info on one computer, then go to the other computer and see if it'll let you sync music without erasing the Info. If it doesn't work, you might consider manually managing your music.

3. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

I don't think you can. Why don't you get an external HD and put your iTunes library there which you both can share from separate computers?

4. iThinkergoiMac thread starter macrumors 68030

Because I don't really have the money for an external drive that's big enough yet easily portable.

I suppose I could simply just put it on my TB external... that has the room, but it's not portable and then my library doesn't get automatically backed up.

I wonder if it might not work if both computers are authorized under the same Apple ID. I'll probably do the external thing if I can't get it to work otherwise.

5. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Yes, you can sync music from one computer and contacts or whatever on another computer. It's done all the time.

6. iThinkergoiMac thread starter macrumors 68030

Sweet, good to know! Do I need to set my music sync to manual or just leave it as it is?