Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremykyle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2009
I am one of the unlucky people who is stuck with a new PC instead of a Mac, (due to my grandmother buying my laptop for me before i left for college.) I am trying to find a Windows calendar application that I can sync with my iPhone. I don't like Outlook, nor do I own it so that one is out. Anyone have any suggestions?

rdowty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2008
I have a hosted Exchange account from GoDaddy that I pay about $10 a month for. Not cheap (or free) but it works on a Mac (Entourage), PC and my iPhone and everything sync's up nice. If Google had Push for the iPhone I'd probably drop it. They have a nice Calendar/Contact sync tool that mimic's the way Exchange works but I want to have instant notification of my email.

jackryan57

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Not sure how this helps? Doesn't seem compatible to me, or at least I can't get it set up properly.

I would strongly suggest Google, I use it and it is flawless. It instantly pushes new contacts and events and also instantly syncs. Two thumbs up.

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
you can use google calendar as the medium between your calendar (say sunbird) and your iphone. you never have to touch google calendar again after setting it up, but i'm not sure if you're so against the "google thing" that you don't want to use it at all. if you don't mind "utilizing" it without having to use it, i suggest that setup.

http://www.google.com/support/calendar/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=99358

this way, when you make a change in your iphone, it will sync with google calendar OTA (over the air). this will then be pushed to your desktop/laptop Sunbird. The same goes for the opposite. You never have to actually sync your iphone with your computer. the only caveat is that they both be accessible to the internet. you don't have to do anything manually either, no remembering to sync. changes are pushed to google calendar when you make them. you can choose to refresh your calendars (sunbird or iphone calendar) manually or automatically or pushed.

in other words, give Sunbird and Google Calendar a try. if you really dont want to use google as the conduit, i apologize for not giving you a different answer to your question.

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
and you're not "unlucky" if somebody bought you a new computer to use, regardless of if it wasnt the one you wanted. be a little grateful.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Google Sync is pretty darn good. How is getting a new computer being unlucky? You can't imagine how many people around the world dream of having a computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.