Sync'd my iphone now a problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sagers2, Jul 12, 2009.

1. sagers2 macrumors newbie

I am new to the whole Iphone thing so I apologize for my ignorance. I sync'd my phone with Itunes and it not only put my phone contacts on my phone but all of my email contacts. I did not want all of my email contacts in there, just my "phone" ones, question is now how do I go back and get them off my phone using Itunes, is this possible or do I have to manually do it??

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
    Laurie

2. drawstring macrumors member

you'll have to clean them up in os x's address book, then when you sync again check off the box that says "replace contacts on iphone"

3. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

You can set up your iPhone to sync with your Outlook contacts (sounds like you're using Windows), in that case I don't think there's a way for you to selectively sync contacts. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

4. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Are you using a Mac?

If so, in address book you can make "smart" groups and then in iTunes on the phone you can choose to only sync a particular group (however, It can't be a smart group).

So what you want to do is...
    Create a smart group that is all contacts who have a phone number.
    Then create a normal group and drag all the contacts in the smart group into the new normal group.
    In iTunes you should be able to choose to only sync that particular group and there is also a checkbox to "add all new contacts to this group" on the iPhone.

5. sagers2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using a PC and the Iphone 3GS, had all of my contacts transfered from my old phone to this one at the AT & T store. I accidentially sync'd my mail server(POP Acct) to my phone and need to get all of those contacts off. There are over 300 contacts and its just too much to do manually if I can help it. Will a system restore remove the contacts added at the AT & T store along with the email contacts??

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks for your responses!!!
    Laurie

6. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Yes a restore will delete all your contacts along with anything else you're not syncing. If your phone contacts are saved in sim card then they should be easy to transfer again. I hope you have them backed up somewhere.

7. sagers2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help, OK how do I get it back from the sim card and would it be backed up in Itunes??

Laurie

8. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Contacts are not backed up in iTunes. They need to be synced with Outlook, gmail, mobileme, exchange, yahoo, Windows Address Book... Or saved on your SIM card (but the card cany only hold about 200 & I don't think the iPhone automatically saves them there).

IF the AT&T employee transferred your contacts through the SIM card then you can import them via Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Import SIM Contacts.