sync'd videos are blurry/blacked out on iP4 - 4.0.1

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by fuzion11, Sep 5, 2010.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I've tried to sync the videos I took under 3.x with my 3GS and all the video thumbnails within the synced camera roll are either blurred right out or whited out....the videos play fine and clear once you select them to play, but the thumbnails of the videos themselves are completely blurry...you can't tell which video it is until you play them....some of the movies and TV shows I uploaded too.

Is this happening to anyone else? Or does anyone know how to fix this?

My PC at home is Windows Vista 32bit and I'm using an iPhone 4 on 4.0.1 Jailbroken

Thanks in advance

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I'm going to quote myself from another thread, this method might work.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=994218

3. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Thanks for the reply but my videos aren't low res....but the actual thumbnail inside the synced photo folder are all blacked out. The same for the videos/movies I synced to my iPod app.

When they play, the quality is normal...but like I mentioned it's just the thumbnails of videos that are blacked out. It's just like a black square.

4. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Turns out this seems to be happening to more people after updating to 4.1

Does anyone have a solution?

5. Lotso macrumors 6502

Lotso

Did you try unsyncing and he resyncing the videos?

6. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Yes it doesn't seem to fix anything when I resync.

I even read in a different thread to remove 3 files from: /private/var/mobile/Media/PhotoData

That didn't help either...

I've attached two pictures to show everyone my problem...one picture is from my camera roll, if you look at the bottom right hand corner you'll see two videos which the thumbnail is whited out.

The other picture is from my iPod app, of movies/tv shows I've installed to watch...you can see the weird rainbow effect in the thumbnail.

Once I start to play the video it seems okay...but the thumbnail issue is so annoying.

Does anyone have a solution?

Attached Files:

7. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I've read a lot of people are having the same problems coming from 4.x up to 4.1 I'm not sure if this is a windows only problem or not?

The solutions I've tried so far with no luck are as follows....

•Erase videos/pics and resync them
    •tried changing the folder permissions via ssh
    •tried syncing the vids/pics from a different folder
    •erased "iPod photo cache" within the vids/pic folder (read that tip on the Apple website)
    •ssh'd into var/library/mobile/media/photodata and deleted the following files... 1.Photos.sqlite 2. PhotosAUX.sqlite
    3. com.apple.photos.caches_metadata.plist

I'm pretty sure that's it. Still can't believe no one here has a solution. I've read Apple is aware of the problem.

Hopefully a permanent fix will come with 4.2

8. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Even complaints on the Apple support web pages aren't giving any answers to the problem....

Everyone keeps saying pictures are the problems....but for me it's only the videos in my camera roll and the videos I uploaded to the iPod app.

9. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Someone from the Apple support website mentioned the thumbnail problem could be caused from the following...

COPY & PASTE:

"If you followed the procedure to delete the photo database and let the phone rebuild it and you still have a problem it is most likely due to one or more corrupted image files in the camera roll. Most likely it is photos that you received in email or MMS messages. Email these photos to yourself and delete them."

The problem is, I have close to two hundred of those types of photos in my photo library....I'm thinking of moving all those type of pictures to a different folder and resyncing the photo library, and see if this stops my video thumbnails from blacking/whiting out.

Any thoughts anyone??

10. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Called Apple tech support and she didn't even have a clue as to what I was explaining.

Very disappointing!

11. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Okay so yesterday I deleted/uninstalled all the problematic videos within the photo library that were blacked/whited out. I figured I just start all over and only sync photos/videos to the photo library that were taken on the iPhone 4 only.

Well that didn't help at all as the same thing happened.

I thought the problem was that the iPhone 4 was conflicting with the videos I shot with my 3GS. NOT AT ALL!

What does this mean? Is this a iPhone problem, iTunes or Windows???

God Damn doesn't anyone have any suggestions on this site?

I attached another picture of what it looks like....

Attached Files:

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Well know bug. I guess we gotta wait till Apple fixes it.

13. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

The two calls I made to Apple support were pointless. Either of the two reps had no clue as to what I'm going through.

I have zero faith in Apple fixing this issue. Us users will have to figure this out for ourselves. I've been keeping my fingers crossed that one day I'll open this thread and someone will know how to solve this.

14. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I was finally able to fix the problem that I had in this thread.

I wasn't sure what the culprit file was either, so I just deleted everything that was added in September, which is when the problem began.

That fixed it for me.

I have a new, unrelated problem now. Grrr...

15. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

People have told me this problem is caused by saving photos to the camera roll from emails or MMS or even from taking screen shots.

So when I set up as a new phone I didn't sync any photos or videos to the photos app....yet my tv shows and movies in the iPod app still had that weird orange effect running through their thumbnails.

So now I dont know what to do.

16. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Anyone else have the rainbow effect in their thumbnails in the iPod app under videos??