synced backup for specific folders onto my fat32-ext-hdd

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thissideup, Nov 17, 2008.

1. thissideup macrumors newbie

hi, everyone!
    so, as you can see by my title, im looking for a backup tool, that will backup folders i define and then back them up onto my external hard drive, preferably into a sparse-image. after that, i want it to continually sync that backup with my macbook, so when i add a new file into that predefined folder, it also adds it into the backup. also, when i remove a file, it also does it inside of the backup.
    im aware that itll be quite stupid to expect that software to do that syncing all the time, and anyway, itll be quite annoying as well. but if it would do this, say monthly, it'd be perfect.
    ive tried many ways (from time machine, to superduper, to whatnot), and all were quite disappointing, tbh.
    so, is there anyone who could point me in the right direction?
    and also, shouldnt this be achievable through an automator script (i have to admit that im quiet inexperienced with automator (and intend to keep it that way))?
    another thing, i mostly would want something like this for my itunes library, so if you could think of a way that does this with itunes easily and only, id appreciate it nonetheless.
    uhm, thats about it. all the best thanks to anyone in advance.
    alex.

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Chronosync will do the sync'ing you want, according to any schedule you set up (but not continuous).

You would set up individual sync's for each of the folders you want for the source, and specify the destination as a folder in your sparseimage. Then you would load all of the individual sync files into a Chronosync container file so they would all run when you run the container. To sync the deletions you just check the box in the sync's.

A problem you will run into is when the spareseimage grows to 4GB you will run into the FAT32 file size limit. For that reason a sparseimage is probably not a good idea, just set up a folder structure on your external to use as the destination folders.

3. thissideup thread starter macrumors newbie

wow, this was exactly the kind of tool i was looking for. and for the sparsebundle, yeah, it was just an idea, didnt had the 4gb-limitation in mind, screwed me often, when i wanted to back up dvd's.
    thank you very much blodwyn!

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

You're welcome. Chronosync has served me well over the last few years.