Synced my apps into Itune now what? How to restore after 3.0 upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by shankar2, Jun 14, 2009.

1. shankar2 macrumors 6502

Hi, I synced my apps I've added to Itunes. Now if I upgrade to 3.0 by restoring, how will the apps come back to the Ipod Touch 2g ?

Any answers with explanation would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    Shankar

2. ghettochris macrumors 6502a

just load the new software, choose to use your latest backup, then once it's restored from that empty you sync the apps back to it and they work with all the settings the same. just did this to mine.

Backup basically seems to get all the preferences back, but apps, music, photos, and videos have to be reloaded by you.

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

ignore the above, your iPod will upgrade to 3.0 and when done it should as you do you wat use your iPod as a new iPod or restore from a backup, if you select restore from backup then all your things in iTunes will automatically sync

4. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

no! restoring the backup does not put your media back on the iPod. it only puts settings and other stuff (contacts, calendar events, notes, mail accounts, app icon locations, safari bookmarks, etc.). to put the media (including apps) back on the iPod you just need to sync it with iTunes after it ask you if you want to set it up as a new iPod or not. if you chose restore from back up (which is recommended if you don't want to go put all your information back in) you will have to wait until it's done restoring the backup before you can sync.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

happens everytime I select restore from backup when it asks to setup my ipod from a restore, I leave it and after a while I have all my things auto synced back on to the iPod

6. DarkRyan323i macrumors member

Will this method preserve game saves as well?

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I don't know if iTunes backsup every game save..... only one way to find out lol I would suggest just right clicking on the iPod in iTunes then hit backup

8. DarkRyan323i macrumors member

The reason I am asking is because I lost all my game saves when I ditched my PC for an iMac because I didn't look it up first. I was hoping to not lose them again. Anyone else have experience with this from upgrading to 2.0?

9. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

see thats different you swaped machines, shouldn't have the same problem since your not swapping machines

10. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi guys thanks for the replies. I'm totally confused now. Should I restore from backup or sync after upgrade to 3.0?

Thanks,
    Regards,
    Shankar

11. ghettochris macrumors 6502a

both :) when you upgrade to 3.0, it will ask you if you want to restore from backup or set up as new ipod, choose backup if you want everything to be the same.

once it is done, you have to sync whatever apps, music, video, photos you had on it back to the ipod. maybe if you use autofill or auto sync it will do it for you, but i do my stuff manually and it did nothing once i restored from backup.

12. shankar2 thread starter macrumors 6502

13. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

you check the box that says "Manually manage music and video" (or something along those lines) in iTunes on the screen that shows your iPod when it's connected. it just means that instead of automatically moving your media, you'll have to drag and drop it. it's not really necessary unless you're syncing with multiple computers. here what you do if you want everything to be exactly the same (i just did this on tuesday and it worked flawlessly). first and foremost. sync it before you do anything. this makes sure iTunes has the most up-to-date backup of your iPod. now if Apple doesn't make you restore to get to 3.0 you'll be fine, however if they do then do this. after you restore a screen will come up asking you if you want to set your iPod up as a new one or if you want to restore from a backup, chose restore from backup. it will then start restoring your backup. this process takes a really long time (it took me 2 hours) so you can just leave it while you go do whatever. when it's done just sync your iPod with iTunes. this will put all your media back on there (music, videos, apps, etc.). the time it takes to do this varies depending on the size of your library (i have 5.7 GB and it took me about an hour). once it's done syncing, you're good to go.

14. farleysmaster macrumors 6502a

Don't restore. Instead of clicking restore, click 'check for updates'.

15. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

yea, i forgot to mention that. make sure you do that. but even if you do that it might still make you restore. just click check for updates and if i makes you restore then follow what i wrote before. just because you're click check for updates means you don't have to restore. Apple made you restore when going from 1.x.x to 2.x.x

16. farleysmaster macrumors 6502a

Say for instance, that I had already done it... then I would know that you don't need to restore...