Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amz1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
I've noticed that apps that I've downloaded to my Mac in iTunes are not showing up on my iPhone. When I looked in the iTunes synch page for my iPhone, on the Applications tab I noticed that the Sync Applications button is not selected. Ok, seems simple enough. But when I select the sync applications button I get a warning that doing this will delete all the apps already on my iPhone and replace them with the apps in iTunes. Which is definitely NOT what I want to do!

So my question: how do I tell the iPhone and iTunes to add the apps (that I've paid for!) to my iPhone, without deleting the apps that are already on my iPhone (that I've also paid for!).

Thanks in advance!

Abe Z.

MavsX

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
sounds like you didn't set up your iPhone to be synced in the first place? Or is this a new computer? you might be sol

dZp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Are you are signed in to the same iTunes Store account on both your computer and your iPhone?

amz1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
sounds like you didn't set up your iPhone to be synced in the first place? Or is this a new computer? you might be sol

Yes, I set up the iPhone to sync in the first place. And yes, it's a new computer.

amz1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
Solved the problem with the very able help of Apple's iPhone helpline. The key step: before synching the apps on the iphone with the apps on itunes, within iTunes on the File Menu, select "Transfer Purchases From xxxxx's Iphone 3Gs". Once I did this, all of the apps that I had downloaded directly to the phone were also available within iTunes. Now, select Sync Applications on the Applications tab within iTunes (with the iPhone selected on the lefthand panel). Problem solved!

Thanks to those of you who wrote with suggestions.
Abe Z.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.