Synch music between iTunes (Mac) and Android phone (Galaxy S2) - How?"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fletchie, Jun 27, 2011.

1. fletchie, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011

fletchie macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Firstly, please excuse me if I am posting in the wrong place!

I have owned a Mac laptop for approx 3 years now (the basic model, not top of the range!) and admittedly only use it for very basic operations, namely internet browsing and using Itunes to sync with my ipod. I manage to do this ok!! I don't use Itunes for keeping contacts or storing anything other than music. I really am a very basic user.

I have never really got to grips with anything more technical than this in all honesty and I really don't understand alot of the technical jargon.

I have bought an Galaxy S2 mobile phone and wish to sync my itunes collection onto this phone. I have read that there is an application called Kies Air but is only suitable if you have wifi. This is the link that I read:
    http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2/325931-mac-galaxy-s2.html

This is where my problem lies. I do not have broadband or wifi where I live (rented short term accommodation due to work) so I use a 3 mobile dongle and top up with £10 per month. This does me ok as I don't download alot of music/videos etc, I really only go on internet applications such as ebay and facebook!

Is there a very simple, easy to follow guide which anybody knows of? The link I posted is above my head! I just want plain english with a step by step guide, if its an idiots guide, so much the better. I know you're probably thinking why has this person bought laptops and phones they can't understand (and I would probably have to agree) but the Mac was a present from my dad when I was a mature student at college so it chose me!!

Many thanks in advance.

2. simsaladimbamba

You can create your own WiFi network with your MacBook (Pro), thus you could sync music via WiFi.
    Would that interest you?

Btw, I have an Android phone too, but I don't synch music via iTunes or such, but I would be willing to try it out (with free apps).

PS: "Synch music between iTunes (Mac) and Android phone (Galaxy S2) - How?" would be a more descriptive thread title.
    To edit your thread title, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. fletchie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your prompt reply, I would be interested in setting up my own wifi network....if I knew how and understood what it means!!

p.s - have also changed the title, many thanks!

4. MetRob24 macrumors newbie

This will solve your problem. Download and Install DoubleTwist. This is the Android equivalent of iTunes. The only thing is that you will need to have your Music already in iTunes, and from your post I already see that you do have your Music in iTunes.

Here are the steps:
    1 - Download DoubleTwist
    2 - create an account
    3 - Sign in to DoubleTwist
    4 - DoubleTwist will ask you to sync or import your iTunes Music Library into DoubleTwist. Click on "yes" or "proceed". Let the software do it's thing.
    5 - Once is finished, Sync up your phone using DoubleTwist ( it also does it wireless via Wifi "airsync")
    6 - If you need further help with this, you can browser the DoubleTwist help section and also their Forums.

I hope this helps and I hope I guided you in the correct direction you where looking for.

5. simsaladimbamba

To create a wireless network and connect your Android device to it, do these steps:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That DoubleTwist post might help you synch too I guess.

6. fletchie thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the simple instructions, I will give it a go and update you once I've tried it. My new phone doesn't arrive for a couple of days but wanted to try and learn what I could in advance! Other than buying the phone for its very fast internet, my music collection is pretty important to me and has taken me many years to compile. It would be nice not to have to carry round an ipod in addition to the phone! Your advice is much appreciated.

7. novamedia macrumors newbie

Hello,

check out FoneSync for Android. It syncs contacts, calendars, music and photos with your Mac and features an iTunes like interface. It works painless via USB. So it is easy to use and fast. And you can contact me for any questions:
    info@novamedia.de

Kind regards

Jan Fuellemann

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Unless you have a very small music library, DoubleTwist is useless. It takes FOREVER to load every time you start it up, doesn't recognize folders or nested playlists, and is fairly inaccurate when syncing.