Synching 2 iTunes accounts on the same MBP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nitromaxx, Apr 26, 2010.

1. nitromaxx macrumors member

I just bought a new MBP and have transferred all of my music, apps, etc. via my iPhone. My question is, can I sync my wife's iPhone on the same computer without having her iTunes library mix with mine? IMO, her music kinda sucks and I don't want her music, apps, etc. mixed with mine the next time I sync my phone. Thanks in advance for any help!

2. mrkgoo macrumors 65816

There are a few ways you can do things.

YOu have to understand exactly what is going on with Computers, iTunes Accounts, Devices etc.

An iTunes account can have up to 5 computers authorised to play content from that account. Once authorised, I believe you can have any number of portable devices sync to that computer.

So it all depends on things like whether your wife is using a separate iTunes Account from you. If she is (or even if she isn't), you can have multiple devices sync to one library, and you can simply have different playlists sync to the different devices. Alternatively, you can keep different users on the computers, so each the iTunes library for each user are separated.

There are different ways of doing that may or may not suit your style of organisation, and they are dependent on how many accounts you and your wife have, whether you want to keep a unified or separate library on the computer and so on.

3. ReggaeFire macrumors 6502

A couple of options:

Hold down the Option key when you launch iTunes, this will enable you to create a second, entirely separate, iTunes library that can have your wife's content in it.

Or

You could create a new user account on the machine for your wife.