synching email on IPhone4 & PC

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by charlton38, Jan 20, 2011.

1. charlton38 macrumors newbie

IPhone 4
    PC
    email via Outlook 2010

all emails come to the IPhone
    some are missing from the PC (Outlook 2010)
    all appear on the server at webmail

can anyone help?

2. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

3. charlton38 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Imap would be a much better choice. However, we will see if we can get pop working the way that you want.
    On your iPhone, go to mail settings, select your account, page down to the bottom and select "advanced". On the Advanced page the very top setting deals with how iPhone treats deleted messages. What does that setting say?

5. charlton38 thread starter macrumors newbie

It says 'Never'

6. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Ok, Outlook has the same setting, check that. Its been awhile since I used Outlook, and I don't remember all the settings right off the top of my head, but see if there is a setting in there that tells Outlook not to download messages older than xxx. I remember a setting like that from some mail app., I'm just not sure if it was outlook.

Also, what mailbox are the emails that are stored on the server in. With pop, you may not be able to determine that.

7. charlton38 thread starter macrumors newbie

synching email on IPhone 4 & PC

Apparently no such setting

all emails stored in Inbox but could go to sub boxes and still be read on server till I manually eliminate them thru webmail
    Thanks for this so far. I must hit the sack. It is 12.45 in the UK. I will follow yr guidance in the morning when I open up.
    John.

8. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Is your email client from your ISP or is it something like GMAIL or Hotmail?

9. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

Are ther any settings on the server that you have access to?
    POP is not like Imap, there is no syncing between devices, each device gets mail seperately, and relies soley on the settings from that device. The only setting on your Iphone which would affect your PC is the "When to Delete" setting that you checked.

10. charlton38 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

Good morning!

I have access to some settings but not to any relevant ones I think. I would change to IMAP via Outlook settings I think if that's what you mean but not certain how to do it. What are the down sides of doing that? I don't mind the server cleaning out but not sure if it would happen each time the mesaages come down to the appliances. This would create a problem when away from home using a laptop where webmail is the access of choice.

11. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

POP is basically one way communication, Imap is two way, meaning that whatever you do on one device is reflected on your other devices that also use Imap. In other words, if you were to send an email on your iPhone, you could also see that same email, in the sent folder in outlook and using the webmail client. Imap syncs across multiple devices, POP is device specific and does not sync between devices.

12. charlton38 thread starter macrumors newbie

Looking at message boards it appears that changing to IMAP is a minefield. Can it be simple?

13. JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

On the iPhone, it's much easier than POP...Was also simple in the Mail.app on My Mac, I cna't imagine that it would be any more difficult in Outlook. To make it work right, though, you really need to set up all your devices with Imap. The neat thing about it is that you have access to all your mail boxes on your device and the server from any device..Once you have Imap set up correctly, there really isn't much need to ever log into "webmail".

14. charlton38 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I don't mean when its working but the process of switch over. How should it be done. For example I note in Outlook 2010 settings does not give options of Pop3 or IMAP. Presumably if you kill your account and start again the facility may be there. However will there be problems with the mail boxes?

15. JamesMB, Jan 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2011

JamesMB macrumors 68000

JamesMB

There shouldn't be any problem at all. Just click add new account, and follow the onscreen directions. In fact, I doubt if you have to delete your POP account first, but if you don't, it might make it more confusing for you. Try it on your iPhone first, if you just add imap and don't delete your pop, it will just show up as a separate account, so no harm, no foul, so to speak.;)

Before you add it to your iPhone, it would probably be helpful if you open your mail settings, click on your account, and on the first page that comes up, the very first setting at the top allows you to turn that account off. Just set it to off, that will disable the account without deleting anything. Then you can decide which account you like and delete the other one. Just be aware that for it to work properly, you need to have imap set up on all devices, not just the phone. You can also disable your POP account in outlook and add Imap there, without deleting anything.