Synching Entourage Calendar and iCal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lablabs, Nov 2, 2007.

1. lablabs macrumors newbie

Hi all,

This is an ostensibly simple procedure, but I have tried endlessly without success. I wish to synch my calendar in Entourage (version 11.3.6, Office 2004) with iCal (version 2.0.5) using sync services to .mac.

Yes, I am aware that you need to open the preferences in entourage and check the boxes, that you need to open the sync preferences and choose the order of operations. I have done this and tried to sync and the events do not migrate from entourage to iCal. ??? There is probably something simple that I am overlooking, but at this point, ego set aside, I'd really like to perform a successful sync and get back to work!

Thanks for any ideas.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Well, it works for me with none of the drama that you are describing.

3. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Hi~ Is it possible to sync Entourage Calendar and iCal without .mac?? I have a user who demands to use iCal instead of Entourage. We run an Exchange Server, so obviously his iCal doesn't talk to it. Then he complains people can't see his calendar in outlook.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The answer to you first question is "Yes." Your Exchange server has to be configured to allow access by non-Microsoft applications. Take this up with your IT staff. It is not a user issue.

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm successfully syncing my Entourage calendar and contacts with iCal and Address Book. Do you have a .mac account? I do not, so I wouldn't be familiar with any extra steps required there.

When you open iCal, is there separate boxes to the left of the calendar that you can select for Entourage or iCal?

6. walnuts macrumors 6502

I have been syncing iCal with entourage for nearly a year now. I have had several hitches, but they were random errors (I think there are still bugs to be worked out. ) I do not use .mac. I also don't think my it guy has enacted anything to help me access the server; indeed I'm sure if he knew he would recommend that I stop immediately as anything out of the norm might cause him a problem that he wouldn't want to deal with.

Is it possible that you chose the incorrect priority setting? It should ask you if you want to take everything from iCal, everything from entourage, or try to mingle them. I found the take everything from entourage setting to be right.

Good luck!

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes, he did. Every Exchange server is configured differently. Your IT staff configured your server to allow iCal access. Not all of us are so lucky.

8. gammamonk macrumors 6502a

gammamonk

Ok, so I couldn't find anything in the help documents for iCal or entourage about calendar syncing, and I think I know why. I researched online, and in the initial release of entourage-- there was no built in syncing. Now however, in entourage you can go to Preferences-->Sync and sync up with the Apple apps. I tried it on my G4 and it worked fine!

Make sure you run the Microsoft Update over and over on your mac until it stops finding updates. I can post a screenshot if needed Monday when I'm back at work.

9. walnuts macrumors 6502

Are you sure? Maybe I didn't explain myself correctly. I access the server through entourage, and then sync that to ical. Ical does not talk directly to the exchange server. If I don't update through entourage first, iCal does not get updated.

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes, I am sure. If it is configured to do so, then you can directly synchronize Exchange with iCal, Address Book, and Mail without using Entourage as an intermediary.

11. walnuts macrumors 6502

Ohh.. I get it- sorry for the confusion. I never imagined that was possible.