Synching iPad 2 to time capsule

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Francis Xavier, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Francis Xavier macrumors newbie

Ive got a time capsule situated at home - and I'm wondering if there is a specific way to access the files on it through the iPad 2 remotely?

Will probably be messing around with settings in the mean time, but I figured I would ask in case anyone had an immediate answer.

2. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

I recommend FileBrowser.

3. Tedddman macrumors member

FileBrowser is what you need. Will make your Time Capsule into a wireless file server for the iPad.

4. LaidBack macrumors member

LaidBack

5. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

how would you go about setting it up. i bought it after reading your comment but my airport extreme is shared over afp and the app is only smb.

6. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Filebrowser doesn't do afp, you need to configure your airport extreme to share using SMB. I thought it did by default, but it looks like early Airport Extremes (that didn't support 802.11n) don't support SMB. Which Airport Extreme do you have?

7. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

its the one that has 802.11n. the one with gigabit ethernet

8. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Then it should do smb by default if you have filesharing turned on.

9. Amazing Iceman, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011

Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

There are apps available that would allow you to mirror to WebDAV, DropBox or similar services. I use ReaddleDocs for this purpose. I have considered mirroring to a TimeCapsule drive, which it makes sense when accessing it locally, but for remote access it will be limited by your Internet upload speed and availability.

I understand your point. I have 5 drives being shared by my AirPort Extreme, and I mainly need to access videos. For that purpose I use AirVideo.
    For the rest of the files, I would connect to my MBP using LogMe In, and using the new File Browsing feature, I could transfer files from/to my iPad, or simply remotely working on my MBP.
    You could also setup an FTP or WebDAV server on your MAC, or use an App like FileBrowser. There's a free version available, you could test it to make sure it works for you.