Synching iPhone on two computers.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I mostly use my desktop mac to manipulate my iphone 4s. Works fine.
I'd like to duplicate that on my macbook pro. I connected the iPhone to the laptop and did a manual backup.

Now I would like to sync the iPhone onto the two computers. But when I tried to sync the music files, I was warned that doing so would replace what is on the iPhone with my entire iTunes library. I don't want to do that. I got the same sort of warned with my iPhone apps.

So, how do I sync the phone with two computers without destroying what is already on the iPhone?

Thanks!

elykoj

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2012
i did same thing

i activated my phone and backed up everything on my work computer. i wanted to get everything off of my work computer and put itunes on my home laptop and sync and backup there only. I was told on here and by Apple tech help that i would indeed lose all my music on my phone. i went ahead and authorized my home laptop and then went ahead and synced it. i believe i got the message that said it would sync to itunes library and i would lose everything as well. i went ahead and did it, but i didnt lose anything on the phone. not sure why or how but i didnt?:eek:. now that i have it backed up onto my home laptop and icloud i am going to delete everything off of my work computer.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
i activated my phone and backed up everything on my work computer. i wanted to get everything off of my work computer and put itunes on my home laptop and sync and backup there only. I was told on here and by Apple tech help that i would indeed lose all my music on my phone. i went ahead and authorized my home laptop and then went ahead and synced it. i believe i got the message that said it would sync to itunes library and i would lose everything as well. i went ahead and did it, but i didnt lose anything on the phone. not sure why or how but i didnt?:eek:. now that i have it backed up onto my home laptop and icloud i am going to delete everything off of my work computer.
You're braver than I am, but thanks for your response. :D

I'm hoping to see a response here that tells me what I have to do to retain the sync on both computers and the contents on my iPhone.

iSwag

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto
same

I mostly use my desktop mac to manipulate my iphone 4s. Works fine.
I'd like to duplicate that on my macbook pro. I connected the iPhone to the laptop and did a manual backup.

Now I would like to sync the iPhone onto the two computers. But when I tried to sync the music files, I was warned that doing so would replace what is on the iPhone with my entire iTunes library. I don't want to do that. I got the same sort of warned with my iPhone apps.

So, how do I sync the phone with two computers without destroying what is already on the iPhone?

Thanks!
happens to me too, now i use only 1 :apple:

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
I can't believe iTunes is so crippled you can't have the same data from one iPhone on two computers you own.