synching new iphone problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by sunnysarah, Apr 4, 2010.

1. sunnysarah macrumors newbie

Hi!

I am on my third iPhone (first one stolen, 2nd one broken, both 3G).
    When I plugged in the 2nd one, it synced nicely to where the last one left off. Now I have just plugged in my 3rd one (3GS) and it has synced to where the first one left off too!

How can I fix this? I want it synced the were the 2nd one was, not the first!

thanks in advance

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

3. sunnysarah thread starter macrumors newbie

i mean that the photos I had taken, the sms messages, the settings, the apps everything from the first phone was transferred to the next phone.
    But nothing that was new on the 2nd phone was moved to the third phone (and I had synced the phone multiple times) Where are those latest syncs and how can I get them onto THIS phone?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you backed up the second phone and transferred purchases, the when you restore from backup, the third phone will have everything but the stuff you can only sync. (e.g., music).

5. sunnysarah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying however the answer still isn't clear to me.

Is backing up the phone an extra step from syncing? Shouldn't it just automatically backup from the last sync?

When I plugged in the new phone I selected the option to restore from a previous backup. I just clicked to backup from "sarah's iphone" I didn't realize that it was a drop down menu. Maybe if I had clicked on the menu there might be a more recent backup from that phone? Should I restore the phone and see?

I went to itunes/preferences/devices and I can see 3 backups (I believe). One from 2009, one from March 2010 and then one from Today. If I restore I should be able to select to backup from the March 2010 one, right?