Synching new MBP to iMac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BBQ BOY, Aug 25, 2010.

1. BBQ BOY macrumors regular

If I were to buy a MBP how do I get all of the info from my iMac onto the MBP? This is someone I would do on a regular basis.
    I don't have a MBP but just want to see if it can be done before I take the plunge.

2. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

Back up all your iMac's stuff onto an external HD and then plug it into your new MBP.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You could use migration assistant, but you wouldn't really want to be doing that all the time. Easiest way would probably be to put stuff you need on both computers on an external hard drive (firewire 800 is best if both computers have it), and just plug in the drive and go.

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Check out Windows Live Sync, it's the - hands down - best sync utility I've ever user. It works for mac and pc, keeps all my files current on both, and has a great online interface too.

free at http://www.mesh.com

I guess I should add, Apple also offers their MobileMe subscription, which also keeps your address book snyc'd as well as bookmarks, plus gives you an email address, for $70/year.

5. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

The OP needs to clarify if they are keeping the iMac and wanting to sync all files between it and the MBP while concurrently using both computers. OR is the OP simply replacing the iMac with a MBP and wants to move all the files over to the new computer. IT isn't clear in your OP.

It depends on how old the iMac is and what version of OSX it is running. Please let us know. The reason I ask is that I had an iMac which I could not use Migration Assistant due to not running a recent enough OS on it.

6. BBQ BOY thread starter macrumors regular

I want to use both computers. Nothing will be replaced.
    My iMac is about 3 hears old and am using the most current OS.