Synching only select photos automatically?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cyks, Mar 25, 2015.

1. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

This is an odd one, so hear me out…

I'm looking for a way to take pictures on my iPhone (5S) and have them synch automatically with my iMac (10.7.5), preferably into a specified folder.

Even better would be to have only pictures taken then synch, and not every photo from my phone.

If there's a way to do this (with or without an app), I'd love to hear it.

The important part is that I don't want to have to touch my phone.

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Sync everything automatically is easy. Sync only selected photos is a gray area. There are methods for automatic upload using both iCloud My Photo Stream and Drop Box (there may be others as well). Selective upload... keep reading.

iCloud Photo Stream can be setup to automatically upload newly-taken images from your iPhone and download them automatically to your Mac. First, you turn on My Photo Stream on your iPhone (Settings > iCloud > Photos). You can setup iPhoto on your Mac to automatically download all photos added to My Photo Stream (iPhoto > Preferences > iCloud). They'll be stored in an album in iPhoto - a new album for each month.

After you turn on My Photo Stream, all new photos you take on the iPhone will automatically be uploaded to iCloud when you connect to Wi-Fi, and from there, down to the Mac.

I think you MAY be able to control what's uploaded. I'm not in a position to test this, as I'm using the iCloud Photo Library beta on my iPhone (things work differently with iCloud Photo Library). IF photos appear in your My Photo Stream album on the iPhone before they're uploaded to iCloud, then you have a window of opportunity to delete them from the Photo Stream album, so long as you're not connected to Wi-Fi (Photo Stream only uploads when you're connected to Wi-Fi).

Drop Box. You can setup the iPhone Drop Box app to upload your photos to Drop Box (you'll find it in the Drop Box app settings). They'd then be available in Drop Box on your Mac. The trouble is, when you turn on that option, Drop Box uploads everything in your Camera Roll, past, as well as current. After they've been uploaded to Drop Box you can go into Drop Box to delete the images you don't want in Drop Box. You would then access those images by signing into Drop Box on your Mac.

3. cyks thread starter macrumors 68020

cyks

I'll look into those options- see if they do what I need them to.
    Many thanks.