Synching/sharing macs

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Louise85, May 13, 2011.

1. Louise85 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody!

I just got my very first iMac today! Yay! After finishing jumping up and down of joy because of this latest addition to my Apple family, I started wondering how I'm going to work this whole desktop+laptop thing out...

In other words, what are the best ways of synching multiple macs?

Basically what I want to synch on both computers first and foremost is my Mail and calendar - so maybe I should get a MobileMe account? Or is there something better?

Besides this, I really would like to be able to access my iTunes library (which is currently on my MBP) since I use this constantly...

I hope you can help! Or redirect me to some other poor soul who's been in this dilemma before me... ;)

Thank you!

Sincerely,
    Louise

2. superfula macrumors 6502

Dropbox works really well for keeping data up-to-date on multiple computers. I use it for docs, images, and preferences of several apps.

As far as Mail and Calendars, I use my gmail and google calendar through Mail and iCal. It does a nice job of keeping everything in sync without having to pay for mobileme.

3. Louise85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh yeah, dropbox! I only use it daily for sharing stuff with my study group, but never thought of it for personal use as well... Great idea! Thanks!

I don't have a google calendar nor a gmail, but I'm thinking I really need to change my email to gmail! I have an old POP3, which is useless when it comes to synching, I think...

So thank you for some great advice, superfula! :D

I just found out that Firefox has some synching function that makes it easier to manage your bookmarks and stuff... Haven't really checked to see if it works properly yet, though, but it seems neat... :p

4. waynep macrumors 6502

Dropbox - already mentioned.
    Xmarks for bookmark syncing
    iTunes library sharing
    Lastpass for password syncing etc.

I use all these. working good.